Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-03-10 10:59:34

David Bird
Eggcornista

"The smorning", "Jim Nastics", and "in this dane age"

A recent discussion developed over the qualities, or lack thereof, of the reshaping sing-a-songwriter. Here are some further problematic miss-shapings: the smorning, jim nastics and in this dane age. Jim Nastics looks like a pure Annie Lehmann (if they can be pure). The two others fall outside any category known to me.

“The smorning” is an innovative understanding of “this morning”, akin to “the dawning”, and is not just a trivial misspelling. It’s a meta…something or other – but not an eggcorn, I don’t think, but I’m not sure. I’ve tied this entry to the sing-a thread because it is a reshaping “for which the broader semantic focus is hardly changed at all”, and yet, the narrower focus is semantically quite novel and charming.

“This dane age” is a reshaping for which the broader focus has received a blow to the helmet and has wobbled off the edge of the semantic map. And yet, what can they be thinking? Is there a category of radical reimaging that defies understanding, probably even on the part of the user, but because of its deliciousness, how we wish it didn’t?

Help
Q. The smorning I was deleting some e-mails from my e-mail box.
A. wait… do you actually think that the phrase is “the smorning”?
[No reply]

I used to believe
That “This morning” was “The Smorning”
And “This afternoon” was “The Safternoon”
[here’s another from the same site]
When I was quite young I thought that ‘this morning’ was ‘the smorning’, and that it was some strange figure of speech, not a time of day. “The smorning was cold.”

Personal profile
Sports: all sports execpt jim nastics

I used to believe
i used to think gymnastics was a person named Jim Nastics. I couldn’t understand how he could be at the local youth club AND on TV in the same day- and i could never figure out who he was when i watched it.

Advice
It’s a shame that in this dane age a male and a female can’t talk without it being misconstrued as something sexual.

#2 2010-03-10 11:20:24

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "The smorning", "Jim Nastics", and "in this dane age"

It is typical of mondegreens that they don’t make that good sense (though it may be striking sense)—the (new) parts don’t add up to anything particularly near the whole.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2010-03-10 11:58:33

David Bird
Eggcornista

Aha, thanks, David. Mondegreens are not only for misheard lyrics, but for misheard phrases that change the meaning of the original in a way that’s not constrained by logic. So something like “in this dane age” is a clear mondegreen, whereas “in this staying age” is arguably closer to the eggcorn end of the spectrum. But all eggcorns have an element of the mondegreen about them then.

Mondegreens, specifically because they are mishearings and don’t make a lot of sense:

Chinese English homework
A: Now, isn’t this a little tough to do, to live without credit cards in this stay-in age?
B: Now, isn’t it a little top to do, to live without credit cards in the staying age?

Home theatre tips
With all the new technology that is around in the stain age there are many cool things to have a look at.

Arguably an eggcorn: this staying age means the present day, just as “this day and age” does, it is just pictured differently.

Ezine on gender inequality
Boys and girls are treated very differently with boys being loved and weighted on 24/7 and girls expected to stay quiet and obey. This seems quite harsh in this staying age but it most definitely happens but in a more subtle way.

Electronics review, UK
Disapointed in this staying age no eject button on the remote control.

Even so – “in the stain age” is a bit of a hoot. Edit: Here’s another example.

Slate blog
In this stained age, a woman who marries her high-school sweetheart and sticks with him for decades is . . . antediluvian, in the best sense.

Last edited by David Bird (2010-03-11 18:35:50)

#4 2010-03-10 15:23:31

David Bird
Eggcornista

I really should be doing other things, but couldn’t help exploring, for my own comprehension, what appears to be another variation that sits just to the left of centre on the mondegreen-eggcorn axis. In this dying age might come naturally in dialects where play and ply are homophones. Here the phrase doesn’t arrive at the same whole, but provides a plausible alternative idiom that users have understood in place of the more anodyne “in this day and age”. There is a undercurrent here of regret for things that have been lost, though perhaps the user always sees that whenever the acorn is used.

IT history
Gilbert Lemaître, in this dying age of 100s of Gb storage systems, still pulls up with playing at programming carefully and condensely in languages long forgotten

#5 2021-10-30 14:17:38

David Bird
Eggcornista

Meanwhile, out here on the edge of tomorrow…

But either option demonstrates the reality for companies in this day and edge — it’s no longer an option to have an environmental policy, it’s a must.
HuffPost

We’re just trying to do what we can do in this day and edge.
community journal

I can’t imagine anyone working in such inefficient way in this day and edge.
business forum”: https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-em … ggs-2.html

#6 2021-11-01 13:45:54

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I like it!
It works backwards, at least sometimes:

an image or page occurs approximately three-eighths from the top of the page and is the point around which objects are balanced on the age.

it was an era that balanced on the age of a new century that seemed to accentuate and highlight numerous anxieties. Ledger and Luckhurst (2000) .

(That one might have been a conscious pun)

Loiter games had followed service to ish with both players on the ragged age of losing their own in the third

I agree, SP is way out there on the ragged age where religion becomes something else.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer