Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-03-25 19:51:14

David Bird
Eggcornista

"entirage" for entourage

Entourage’s meaning of “a circle of people following or attending to an important person” is captured in the “entire-age”, as in “the complete retinue”.

Nottingham soap box forum
... was duely impressed when I mentioned the Deputy Mayor and his entirage …

Wedding proposal stories
one week later i did security for a celebrity and he got drunk and jealous and swore up and down that i slept with the clelebrity not just the celebrity but the entirage! [...] he still keeps saying from time to time i slept with them so now when he does i say sure did the whole entirage and other celebrities too!

#2 2010-03-25 21:50:16

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "entirage" for entourage

I counted about five examples of “entirage.” The semantic rationale seems sound, but I’m not sure the number of examples rises above the misspelling noise. “Entourage” is a hard word to spell correctly, given its French-origin accentuation.

I see quite a few more examples-a hundred or more-of “enterage.” Perhaps the writers are thinking that the entourage is what enters with a person? Examples:

Trip log: “You would have thought it was the president who got shot if you saw the enterage that followed me into the aid station.”

Game forum: “I am nowhere near tough enough to fight Scrapyard alone, even if he didn’t have his enterage, so I turn and run, and get maybe twenty yards before his people finally kill me. ”

Blog entry: “the fact that he not only embarrassed and humiliated the girl, but insulted her parents too, and did so in front of teachers, students, and the rest of his enterage alike. ”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer