Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-03-27 23:04:14

David Bird
Eggcornista

"ups gone" & "up scond" for abscond; "alien upduction"

Getting even farther upfield in the upnormally interesting ab- to up- series.

Well recently up sconded from the UK with the fam to live in Gibraltar. its arite but aint like a holiday. Best bunch of Mates here and in ireland. miss all
snippet from http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=2072151278

Advice column
Q: i got married on april 2008 and my husband has upsconded can i get divorce within 2 months?

Prison Talk
i got prenant with hes kid she is 3 weeks and 2 days old but when i was 7 months pregnant he left me and found a different gurl and they would tell me they was moving down to florida and getting married well he upsconded and before i knew it i got a call from hes po saying that they got him and he was in jail thats when i was 8 in a half months pregnant then he wrote me saying hes sorry and he loves me
[Sorry, I left a lot of back story in there as I’m sure you’d want to understand the context].

Cypriot Forum
Cant you get it in your thick scull , that 80% of G/Cs had gone , left , wasn’t there , dissepeared , migrated , upsconded , took a ride , went on Holiday , a long vacation , decided to leave it to Turks then left

Alien upduction
Is it a coincidence that he has had 2 ufo encounters, one of which with his wife (my mom) and one girlfriend who had a potential upduction with “lost time”?

TV show resolution
The answers to their mysteries ranged from alien upduction to cloning to government conspiracies to DOD experimentation to alien bounty hunters.

Well there always talking about how Cows are being up-ducted by Aliens.
snippet from http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:g_ … =firefox-a

Investing for teens googlenonce
Make sure it’s somebody you have rock solid trust with because they theoretically could ups gone with all of your savings.

#2 2010-03-28 11:48:43

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: "ups gone" & "up scond" for abscond; "alien upduction"

Wow—“ups gone with” is virtually unbelievable, but it doesn’t look like a pun in context. This appears to be the only instance, which doesn’t surprise me. Amazing find in any case.

I like “upduction,” too—makes especially good sense where aliens are concerned, since they sometimes use tractor beams to pull us (or cows) up into their craft. The reshaping turns abduction into a very transparent English-Latin hybrid.

Skeptical about cow abduction? Well, here is some “utterly compelling evidence that a cow was abducted by a ufo” from the cheeky science- and science fiction-oriented site io9:

http://io9.com/5377766/utterly-compelli … d-by-a-ufo

Still not convinced? Here’s actual video footage of a cow being abducted by a glowing UFO, apparently in Australia:

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/cow … ns/x0bved8

#3 2010-03-29 00:03:24

kem
Eggcornista

The spammers are back, Pat. They’ve just hijacked your account to post a link to a UFO cow abduction video!

Grin.

Perhaps the video is a metaphor for an eggcorn—a word being ripped from its native semantic pasture and tractor-beamed into an alien context.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2010-03-29 01:38:40

patschwieterman
Administrator

Perhaps the video is a metaphor for an eggcorn—a word being ripped from its native semantic pasture and tractor-beamed into an alien context.

Um, yes, exactly. That’s precisely what I was hoping to imply by posting that spam link. I’m glad you picked up on it.

#5 2010-03-29 11:20:51

kem
Eggcornista

That’s precisely what I was hoping to imply

Good. I wouldn’t like to think that you were cow-towing to the conspiracy theory folks.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer