Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-03-30 20:01:06

kem
Eggcornista

springkle << sprinkle

We’ve had showers every day this week. What can I say–it’s March, and it’s Vancouver Island.

Some writers seem to think that a vernal shower is a springkle. They could just be bad spellers, but they may be recalling the (northern hemisphere) wet season or they may be thinking about springs, places where water comes out the ground.

“Springkle” replaces “sprinkle” on hundreds, perhaps thousands, of web pages, but the majority of these references are only indirectly connected with water. Most uses of the verb “springkle” are recipes (“springkle lightly with salt”). Sometimes the plural, “springkles,” is a noun–sprinkles are the small candy fragments decorating sugary confections.

Some samples of “springkle:”

Dieter’s forum post: “It was not as watm as the weather man was promising plus a few springkles of rain.”

UK poster to Tripadvisor: “A few springkles of rain lasting 10 minutes on 2 days. Now snowed in back in the UK!”

Post on Malaysian car club site: “Just do not use jet spray type, only springkle type of water to hose off the soap. ”

Philippine forum: “Maybe if we cultivate and springkle enough water on it, it will grow into…..”

Discussion about picture of dewdrop: “use a bottled water or any, then springkle it! ”

Anime forum: “may the gods springkle her with blessings—her songs were great”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2010-03-31 15:38:22

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: springkle << sprinkle

Surprisingly to me, it appears that spring and sprinkle are … what is it, DNA eggcorns? (or in my indelicate terms, they have a fetal attraction). Not only that, but the many springs spring from the same source.

We do need that table of eggcoinages; I’m sure there are other terms here for etymological congeners.

#3 2010-03-31 19:28:49

kem
Eggcornista

Congener. OK, had to look that one up. Like Marvin the paranoid android, you have a vocabulary the size of a planet.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2010-04-10 19:00:08

David Bird
Eggcornista

These may be phonetic spellings, though I do like “Critical Thingking Skills”, and wring-kles makes sense too.

Burmese fishing chat
Wanna join me. Give me a tingkle if you are coming

Business essays
Critical Thingking Skills

Tractor & Equipment company catalog
Signature Long-Sleeve Wringkle-free Twill Shirt

You will wonder when you use it wringkle cream
Amazing D.M Lotion removed wringkle on your face. The wringkle will gone after you use it not even one mounth.

Can wringkle and other old facial symbols happen to young women?
It is normal when you turn out to be old, you will possess wringkle, blemish, folds and pouch especially in your face part.

Last edited by David Bird (2010-04-10 19:14:10)

Board footer