Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-04-08 00:05:43

patschwieterman
Administrator

"excesserbate" for "exacerbate"

If some negative aspect of something is exacerbated, it’s probably become more than excessive in someone’s view. This isn’t too common – less than 20 ughits. Examples:

The notion that the continued presence of toll booths on this busy route will lessen the effect of future traffic congestion at the crossing is ill conceived as congestion on the route is actually excesserbated by the toll plaza.
http://www.angelfire.com/clone/sabrearc … pOffs.html

A category of young people that has been labelled to be predisposed to ‘ gang culture’, engaging in knife crime, drug use, teenage pregnancy, heavy drinking and excesserbated by the decline in the economy with diminished level of employment or training opportunities.
http://www.avrupagazete.com/avrupa.asp?Id=9417

The vast majority of people who think they have had their drink spiked who end up in A&E tend to actually be suffering the effects of hypertension excesserbated by alcohol.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt13549.html

The physical market is booming-supply deficits can’t be saturated from new mine production since years and are growing disproportional- as demand is going through the roof and the PoG remaining at these levels or heading lower still, will eventually and dramatically curb production in terms of total production costs, further excesserbating the problem of unavailability.
http://www.usagold.com/cpmForum/archive … fault.html

Etymologically, “exacerbate” is from Latin acerbus (“harsh, bitter”), the same root that gave us “acerbic.” In this case, the ex- is an intensifier.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2010-04-08 00:06:59)

#2 2010-04-08 16:40:07

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "excesserbate" for "exacerbate"

Excesserbate is great. Here’s another way to blend the word, also not too common (16 legit hits) but exciting comment when it occurs. A blend between exacerbate and disturb, with maybe other disturbing overtones.

16 legit hits

Overheard in the office
Ditzy intern: I know you’re busy so I’m not going to exasturbate things…
Suit: Oh, not at all… In fact, better that you exasturbate me than the boss.

Philosophy forum
I would argue that the verifiable existence of god would exasturbate this situation.

Religious iconoclasm
Comment: Anyway, I don’t mean to exasturbate a problem too far.
Reply: you said ‘exasturbate’. I’m sure it was accidental, but great job :)
Commentor: I thought “exasturbate” was a word. Did I mispell? I realize of course the verbal similarities to certain “solitary” activites…ah yes… exacerbate…that’s what I meant :)
Replyer:No. The made up word is clearly superior in this context. Like they say: The first wrong note is a mistake. The second is jazz.

#3 2010-04-08 21:49:26

kem
Eggcornista

Yes, so good it makes you forget the acorn.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2014-09-11 19:03:48

kem
Eggcornista

Only a couple of these on the net:

Facebook medical forum post: “Whenever I try to change my diet to something more healthy it seems to exhausterbate the situation.”

Scores of these, though.

Comment on pregnancy forum: “Wearing low rise pants, rather than full panel, seemed to exacterbate the discomfort.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer