Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-04-18 01:25:55

klakritz
Eggcornista

'fiction of [one's] imagination'

The database already contains ‘pigment of [one’s] imagination,’ which is more common than this one and closer in sound to the original, but doesn’t make as much sense. Examples:

The book is composed of two parts. The majority of which was put together to share my life experiences. The remainder is a fiction of my imagination.
www.stylefeeder.com/.../Ramblings-Stori … -Paperback

I wish this huge plastic continent was just a fiction of my imagination but sadly enough it’s a sad sad truth!
www.friedfishcomics.com/

But, since Molly is a fiction of my imagination, I can jolly well imagine her any way I like.
www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=334

When you accomplish that you’ll understand that you can overcome all of your fears because they are just fiction of your imagination.
www.rejectanxiety.com/anxiety-the-fear- … ming-fear/

Location: Germany, where beer is cheap, cigarettes even cheaper and speed limits a fiction of your imagination.
www.infoceptor.net/forums/showthread.php?p=13379604

Lavoisier proved that Phlogiston of Stahl was only a fiction of his imagination, more hindering than helping in explanation of various …
www.angelfire.com/mb2/quinine/dissect.html

#2 2010-04-18 06:20:35

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'fiction of [one's] imagination'

It sounds more fictual than factional, but it’s true!

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2010-04-19 11:31:59

kem
Eggcornista

There are also a few example on the web of “ficment” for “figment,” perhaps a blend of “fiction” and “figment.”

The spelling “figmint” is common. The food semantics of “mint” could be using a perceived “fig” to exercise some pull on the spelling.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2012-02-26 04:40:43

burred
Eggcornista

I got up in the middle of the night to look this one up – I shoulda stood in bed!

Is that dude for real, or just a fictment of my imagination?
Forum

THIS IS FICTMENT OF IMAGINATION ONBEHALF OF THE AREMNIANS BECAUSE HITLER IS NO LONGER HERE TO DEFEND HIMSELF
That genocide again

i could be wrong the director james cameron who did a wonderful job said that its a fictment of our imagination so it could be her heaven or a dream
Film comment

Re ficment, I did find this case where somewhere deeply involved in the online fic world has transferred it to figment.

Now, how awesome would it be for Ryan to really be a ficment of Spencer’s imagination and then suddenly coming alive.
Fan fic review

Edit: Here’s a quick fics. An afictation in the following might imply putting on a front, a false identity. Admittedly, though, the spelling in all of these is not sparkling.

Oh, that cigarette holder is a rather goshe afictation.
Dog paean

In the next, one does an afictation, rather than has one.

The bad Hollywood Chinese could be addressed by the speaker or one of his friends pointing out
he does that deliberately to confuse people and build his rep. I think you mentioned that in one of
your comments or possibly the story but making it more explicit would help. That way the reader
would know it’s an afictation the boy does and not some steriotyping.
Fiction advice

So in this case, it sounds more folksy, as an affictation, rather that structural (echoeing the shock of trauma.)
Poetry advice

Last edited by burred (2012-02-26 05:14:23)

#5 2012-02-26 08:29:14

kem
Eggcornista

“Affictation.” Worth getting up in the night for.

We haven’t mentioned, it appears, “fragment of [my/her/his/their/your/] imagination.” This phrasing is extremely common. It may even be older than “figment of imagination.” The OED traces “figment” in this sense back to the seventeenth century, but the complement in the idiom is “brain” or “mind” in the first two centuries, “imagination” only appearing with Jane Eyre. Google books lists several early 1800s books with “fragment of imagination.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer