Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-05-18 00:04:59

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"road" for "rode"

From an Internet chat-thread: ”...unlike you I am (was-a little side lined now) an athelete and road my horse daily.”

Although there’s an obvious meaning connection (Road my horse = take my horse onto the road), I reckon this is just a slip rather than an eggcorn, mainly because the mix-up of tenses wouldn’t likely have occurred in the eggcorning process. Has anyone else seen some version of this one?

#2 2010-05-18 08:14:57

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "road" for "rode"

I’ve got a bunch of them collected, inclluding some published, but like you I was dubious of the eggcornishness of it. E.g.

Everyone loved the family class [at Arab horse shows] . . . in which the Manion clan always road, and usually won, because we had “the mostest”.

[we] road six hours

If I remember correctly you and Danny often road around on a little home made tractor that used an old lawn mower motor.

He road bikes because he had a distinct aversion to automobiles (part of his technology phobia).

Joe Rossi road under the radar, but apparently he has a couple of aliases with extensive files.

With that he left the tavern, called for his horse, and road off into the night.

Some seem more likely to be eggcornish than others. The last one listed, for some reason, has been a favorite of mine: maybe it feels like a blend of rode off and hit the road ?
btw, if this is not eggcornish it’s still another kind of thing I would hesitate to call a typo even though it involves typing incorrectly: it is substituting the common word-final spelling oad (a special case of the spelling oa for the “long o” sound, itself a special case of the pattern oV for that sound and V1V2 for “long” V1 generally) for the (also common) homophonous ending ode (a special case of the pattern oCe for the “long o”). It’s a misspelling, but I’d rather not call it a typo.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2010-05-18 08:17:41)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2010-05-23 12:54:58

yanogator
Eggcornista

I agree that the mistake was made in the brain, not the fingers. There are many very bad spellers in our country, and these, I think, are just some examples of that. Definitely not eggcorns, but worth exhibiting on this forum.

Bruce

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#4 2023-08-14 10:48:21

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Yet the semantic connection between riding and the road (the place where you typically ride, the constructed/established place/object that permits you to freely ride) is real and may well be active in some cases. I guess I am quarrelling with your word “definitely”, Bruce.
This is relevant to the discussion on another thread ( https://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/vie … hp?id=3404 ) about English spelling making us sure words are separate when in fact they could easily be thought related and probably would be in another language. Spanish camino ‘road, way, path’ is clearly related to caminar ‘walk’; why are we so sure road is not the place where someone/people rode “have (customarily) ridden” ? I.e. the misspelling may mean the misspellers think we have a cognate, and why are we so sure they are wrong?

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2023-08-15 14:58:13)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer