Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-05-18 22:32:50

klakritz
Eggcornista

'separate the wheat from the chafe'

We already have ‘separate the wheat from the shaft.’ This substitution is much more common. Does chaff, being dry and scaly, chafe those who handle it? The etymologies are distinct.

Delivery matters — Likely the easiest way to separate the wheat from the chafe in stem cell therapy is asking how the clinic plans on delivering cells.
www.faim.org/.../christophercentenovett … apies.html

But I have more faith in the market of ideas, than in a brain-trust of editors, to separate the wheat from the chafe. ...
www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/200 … .../29225/

Lung Cancer Screening: Trying to Separate the Wheat From the Chafe. [Pulmonary Trends]. Spiegler, Peter MD, CCP. Section Editor(s):...
pt.wkhealth.com/pt/re/merck/fulltext.00045413-200607000-00008.htm;...

wheat from the chafe. In my view, for most companies, that means this is a time for back to basics.
www.lean.org/.../april_2009_LEI_Webinar … womack.pdf

Bombarded with offers — each claiming to be the cheapest and best — these businesses need a way to separate the wheat from the chafe …
hosted-voip.tmcnet.com/.../19642-picking-from-plethora-hosted-voip-providers.htm

We’re every bit as passionate as making the magazine as we are about PCs, which is why we’re on your side to help separate the wheat from the chafe, ...
www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/.../pc-f … scription/

The market will sort the wheat from the chafe in time.
http://www.optoelectronix.com/page_content.php?id=25.

Jan 6, 2010 … In some ways, it goes back to the old adage of separating the wheat from the chafe.
www.federalnewsradio.com › ... › Newsstand › Federal News Radio

There are 15740 Social Media Experts on Twitter … So how to separate the wheat from the chafe and actually find a Twitter Expert?
mashable.com/2009/12/27/social-media-experts-twitter/

#2 2010-05-19 01:11:01

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: 'separate the wheat from the chafe'

The variant “separate the weak from the chaff” shows up a few dozen times. Perhaps some users are envisioning a fine discernment between those who are weak and those who are very weak. But the examples I found didn’t make it very clear that anyone was thinking that way. Examples:

Have you ever had to do some serious evaluations of large teams and groups of people competing to be able to differentiate rewardable performance and promotion to separate the weak from the chaff?
http://www.inreview.com/archive/topic/28090.html

At the same time, I’m pleased that Luis is asking the hard questions and bring topics to light that will separate the weak from the chaff in the world of enterprise 2.0 software products.
http://wikisunleashed.blogspot.com/

And the challenge here is to try to separate the weak from the chaff before you make tactical decisions on going towards the surface to periscope depth.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/mar … iths3.html
[This seems to be from a transcript – I didn’t go looking for the original.]

Jesus said to separate the weak from the chaff.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/pol/1734025548.html

Last edited by patschwieterman (2010-05-19 01:11:22)

#3 2010-05-19 08:59:35

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'separate the wheat from the chafe'

“Wheat from the chafe” brings to mind the way farmers check the maturity of grain, by rubbing a handful between their palms. Or is it too much to ask that “the chafe” be the struggle? And does the following refer to dry, scaly chafed skin, or is it the boy, as in, “You can take the boy out of the farm, but you can’t take the wheat from the chap.”

Internet hookup advice
Thank you for helping me sort the wheat from the chap

Pat’s great find led me to look for the following, which were rare enough to make me think that they were intentional:

UK politics
But its a start and I’m sure 95% of people would like to see Parliament moved to somewhere like South Yorkshire. It would sort the weak from the chav and save all sorts of money that can be better spent.

But that’s just to make a bridge to the more interesting encounter: sought the weak from the chav. Sure enough:

Online pitch
As with any venture, you need to sought the wheat from the chaff and that’s what we hope
to help you do here at Offline Marketing Consultants.

Unclear on the concept:

Conference report
many would argue that most self-expression is crap. Publishers will need to learn how to separate the weed from the chaff.

“Chuff” is British slang for nonsense (hmm … looks eggcornish in itself).

The Malaysian DJ blogger
We have to separate the wheat from the chuff as indeed, there is literature and there are books, and the two shall never meet.

Last edited by David Bird (2010-05-19 16:07:56)

Board footer