Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-05-22 16:56:50

David Bird
Eggcornista

talking through your head

Expressing ten-dollar opinions on a subject of which you know squat can be described as talking through your hat. The modification to talking through your head is wonderfully meaningless, at face value. It might be understood as not using your head, not talking from a place of knowledge.

Windows eggheads
The senior tech is talking through his head. Of course the stand alone works
with Ultimate I’ve used it twice already without any issues!

Learning martial arts
The person who said that you can learn from videos. Is talking through there head.

Turkish language forum
Charlotte is talking through her head....There is only one Islam, and what that is – is clearly defined in Kuran.

See also the roundtripper hang one’s hat in shame

#2 2010-05-24 23:27:03

kem
Eggcornista

Re: talking through your head

If “talking through one’s head” makes no sense, then what does “talking through one’s hat” mean? I had always assumed that the implicit contrast in “talking through one’s hat” was with letting the hat think instead of the head.

Now that I think about it, perhaps I don’t understand the imagery behind “talk through one’s hat.” How did this odd phrase arise? It almost feels like an opaque foreign idiom that has been transferred/translated into English-as when we use the Gallicism “it goes without saying” and then proceed to say it.

Last edited by kem (2010-05-24 23:39:21)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer