Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-06-07 13:55:11

David Bird
Eggcornista

"have the gull" for "have the gall"

Following the links proffered by Kem and Peter to the Phil Ochs oeuvre, I ran across the following comment:

Youtube comment
Actually, in Phil’s last years, Bob Dylan ripped off his idea for the “Rolling Thunder Revue”, and then had the contemptible gull to have his crony kick Phil to the curb

Is this an eggcorn? There are hundreds of instances on the web. Does it make reference to the effrontery of the poohawk? I can’t see a connection to the verb gull as in “dupe”.

Fan fiction site
And then some of you idiots have the gull to call me a troll

Slate exchange
I can barely believe that you Hillary supporters have the gull to attack Obama with this petty paranoid propaganda

#2 2010-06-08 05:50:54

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "have the gull" for "have the gall"

It takes gall to try to gull people into attacking Obama, calling me a troll, or kicking Phil to the curb. Might that be the connection somehow? Alternatively, in calling me a troll, or attacking Obama with propaganda, the attacker’s goal is to gull the public into believing my trollhood or Obama’s perfidy.
These connections would be taken as motivating a conceptual blend/compaction of sorts, I suppose.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2010-06-08 08:07:01

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "have the gull" for "have the gall"

Just this morning I heard someone on Radio 4 mention being mugged by a gull, and hereabouts gull attacks are becoming quite common:

A PENSIONER was left covered in blood after being attacked by seagulls.

Neighbours of a north Wales pensioner see him collapse and die after being attacked by gulls.

I was personally attacked by one of these “animals” and suffered significant facial injury. Scientists have proven the common gull is a genetic mutation of …

So gull for gall works pretty eggcornishly in these beleaguered isles. On the other hand, “gull bladder” too scores 100s of ughits, and someone has been throwing a lot of those Gaul stones.

Board footer