Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-06-13 12:45:05

kem
Eggcornista

double bind << double blind

“Double blind” and “double bind,” both of which entered the vocabulary of technical English in the middle of the twentieth century, are systematically confused, even in reputable scientific literature.

A double-blind trial is an experiment in which neither the person administering the experiment nor the person to whom it is administered know which alternative is the control (placebo, possibly) and which is the focus of the test. Both participants wear a figurative blindfold that hides from them the underlying facts.

A double bind is a dilemma, a situation in which you are damned if you do and damned if you don’t. In psychology it refers to a mental impasse caused by contradicting commands.

A Google search for “double bind trial” displays references to numerous sites in which “double bind” is used in situations referring to double blind trials. Switching to a Google book search for the phrase brings up references to about fifty published books and articles that make the same mistake.

A semantic path leads from the term “double blind” to the term “double bind.” In a double blind experiment, blinding become a sort of binding because both parties are securely bound to their state of ignorance. In addition, the experimenter is in a double bind in a double blind trial: if she accepts the conditions, she doesn’t know what she is administering; if she does look, the experiment is ruined. At least some of the people who confuse the two terms, I suspect, have traveled an eggcornical path to arrive at the error.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2010-06-15 09:26:52

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: double bind << double blind

Bicephalic cricket dilemma
I was caught in a double mind. I was not sure whether to play my shots or to see the shine off the ball.

Not really pertinent to your post, I’m afraid, Kem. More of a blend of “caught in a bind” and “being of two minds”. The following looks like the roundtripper, with intimations of “up a blind alley.”

Financial dilemma
NHS trusts that were owed vast sums by inefficient PCTs were caught in a double-blind trap.

Board footer