Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-06-17 14:17:17

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'straddle' or 'saddle' for 'staddle' (stones)

When I first came across these essential items for the bulk storage of grain etc, I was told they were straddle stones, which made perfect sense, and still does. Saddle would have been equally acceptable as a self-explanatory term. Saddly, neither are correct, but both are certainly eggcornish. These days they are used as fabulously expensive garden ornaments by people who think they are just decorative ‘stone mushrooms’ and who laugh dismissively at any explanation of their true purpose; it seems the function as well as the word itself has been eggcornified. Could this be a new kind of doubler, I wonder?

The old granary was built on saddle-stones so that rats could not get in.

An old granary on saddle stones stands by the gate. Farmhouse breakfast available too, with free range eggs, smoked bacon & granary toast. ...

Granite straddle stones. Amazing to think at one time a whole grain barn would have been supported on these supports!

One of the outbuildings is an old granary-cum-dovecote, which stands on its original straddle stones. The château is approached on a …

curved sandstone straddle stones with circular capping stones to prevent vermin reaching the stored grain. The pitched corrugated iron roof, ..

#2 2010-06-18 14:52:29

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'straddle' or 'saddle' for 'staddle' (stones)

From over here staddle stones look so exotic. Thanks for introducing them to me.

I don’t know if the following is related or not.

Manga comic review
Get this out of my damn hands already, Ethel! Give it back to the Elmo children, emo children, whatevuh! My prostate feels like a shtetl stone this morning…

Board footer