Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-06-29 20:19:47

klakritz
Eggcornista

'shallow of doubt' for 'shadow of doubt'

The imagery is obscure, but it’s kind of poetic. Examples:

Honestly, without a shallow of a doubt I think Capcom is arguably the best third party company on the Wii as of right now.
www.siliconera.com/.../sales-of-zack-wi … f-sluggish

... I have always been blessed and my life has always been amazing I can say without a shallow of a doubt god has given me many gifts …
www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2652985040&topic=2786…

... but we know beyond any shallow of doubt that Eliphalet (1711 — 1778) was killed in the massacre from his name being on the monument …
www.archive.org/stream/.../follettdewey … d_djvu.txt

... neither do I entertain a shallow of doubt that the motives of my respected adversary are equally pure and disinterested as my own …
books.google.com/books?id=Y38tAAAAIAAJ…

Now throughout the picture Ben Stiller was crazy without a shallow of doubt and this picture was great to see and funny…
www.moviedir.com/.../dodgeball-a-true-u … e-118.html

I know without a shallow of doubt, the Lord brought her into my life.
books.google.com/books?isbn=1615661387

It should give us hope because it proves beyond the shallow of a doubt that professional bass fishing is a skill that can be learned …
www.orleanscountybass.com/President_s_Corner.php

#2 2010-06-30 03:18:10

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: 'shallow of doubt' for 'shadow of doubt'

I like this one – it has a weird of lyricism I find appealing.

I wonder whether any of the writers are aware of the phrase “shallows of doubt,” for which Google provides 9 examples. Its maritime metaphor typically evokes the danger of uncertainty:

Whilst still moving hesitatingly through the shallows of doubt and of uncertain opinion no man is free.
http://www.oldandsold.com/articles11/gladstone-2.shtml

Father, I grope amid the shallows of doubt and fear, but I long to advance toward the light.
http://www.closedforums.org/c4pda.com/35/25655/0/
[A quotation the writer attributes to Albert Schweitzer.]

Board footer