Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-06-30 23:24:24

Barbara Partee

"in the mitts of" for "in the midst of"

I know there’s already an entry for “in the mist of” for “in the midst of”, but I’ve just discovered “in the mitts of” as another eggcorn from the same source.

• First was from my tree guy, in an e-mail: “I’m in the mitts of my busy season”

And I found some more from a Google search. Most hits on “in the mitts of” are normal, meaning “in the hands of”; the fact that “in the mitts of” is a pretty common expression in its normal sense may have helped spur the eggcorn use. Some of the hits do have the eggcorn meaning “in the midst of”—samples below:

• I am in the mitts of remodeling or town home, I was woundering if its possible to stain my laminate countertops? johny 01 May 2008, 18:54 …
www.askthebuilder.com/094_Plastic_Lamin … tops.shtml
• In the mitts of plenty, however, the Roman people forgot what freedom entailed. They forgot that the essence of freedom is the proper limitation of …
www.theroarks.org/?q=node/13
• In the mitts of their biggest business endeavor the LaFontaine Family was not done with 2007. In the fall of 2007 the LaFontaine Family purchased Saline …
www.lafontainetoyota.com/page/about_us/en/ – Cached – Similar
• Dec 6, 2009 … Are story begins in the mitts of The Great King Mufasa’s rule. His Brother Prince Taka, now refereed to as Scar had recently came across an …
blueeyedqueen.deviantart.com/.../Zira-Sister-of-Simba-Chapter-1-145868448 He was in the mitts of them skirting and jumping to stay out of their way. They headed straight toward the whale hole. He yelled at them to stop none of …
hotel.ccroatan.com/reflec.php
• Mar 10, 2010 … Then the story proceeds to present Day with the boys from Bad Company in the mitts of combat against the Russians. ...
tattlerextra.org/2010/03/battlefield-bad-company-2-review /

#2 2010-06-30 23:37:54

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "in the mitts of" for "in the midst of"

Good, good. An eggcorn that improves the original.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2010-07-01 03:18:48

patschwieterman
Administrator

Welcome, Barbara Partee. This is a great find.

One of our regulars—Joe Krozel—posted on “we have in our midst>>we have in out mitts” a few years ago, but I have to confess that I wasn’t fully persuaded his examples were eggcorns. I find these much more convincing, and I like the way that this form of the reshaping underscores the oppressiveness of being in the midst of something—as if you were the plaything of your remodeling, or your busy season, or of plenty itself.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2010-07-01 03:20:24)

#4 2010-07-01 09:00:37

Barbara Partee

Thanks, Pat Schwieterman (is that right?). Is that why I didn’t see anything about midst > mitts when I checked the database? So now you will put it in? Presumably also with full credit to Joe Krozel. I agree with your metaphorical relationship—it would be interesting to see whether this eggcorn occurs only when the thing you’re in the midst of is also something that is putting constraints on you.

I guess Joe’s context is one where it would be hard to be sure of the distinct meanings; the context “in the midst of” is a bit easier, because in the clear eggcorn cases there is no entity whose ‘mitts’ are involved and one can see evidence of the temporal-durative meaning that fits ‘midst’ much better than ‘mitts/hands’. Nevertheless in that context too I saw cases that seemed possibly ambiguous. I’m new to eggcorn collecting—should the ambiguous ones be documented too? Is such ambiguity/indeterminacy known to make eggcorns more likely to survive?

#5 2010-07-01 16:09:46

patschwieterman
Administrator

Is that why I didn’t see anything about midst > mitts when I checked the database? So now you will put it in?

I’ll provide a more detailed answer than you were probably looking for because we’re getting a flood of new members right now, and maybe I can anticipate questions that other newly registered people might have, too.

The truth is that there’s something of a disconnect between the Eggcorn Forum and the Eggcorn Database. They both have the same owner, but they’re effectively different entities. The Database has been pretty quiet in the last year, with only about a half-dozen new entries posted. Just a small number of people have the access to add articles to the Database—mainly the site owner Chris Waigl, as well as Ben Zimmer and Arnold Zwicky. And since writing up an article for the Database can take some time, I think the size of the backlog of material that could make the move from the Forum to the Database has become such that they’ve more or less given up on keeping pace with it.

The people who are regulars on the forum are the die-hard enthusiasts who are willing to keep posting potential eggcorns here whether or not they get enshrined in the Database in the near future. And there’s activity here on the forum pretty much every day. While I’d love to see things start moving into the Database again, for me the most important thing is to keep documenting everything that seems relevant. As long as Chris keeps paying the rent, the raw data will be available for someone to use, get a laugh out of, etc. And I like our little community of committed eggcorn-hunters.

Joe’s “in our mitts” posting was one of the first of his thousands of posts, and I think it wouldn’t make the cut for the Database because most of the “in our mitts” citations could be explained as examples of a perfectly standard usage. There are, as you say, some that are suggestive, but there aren’t many strong, unambiguous examples.

I’m new to eggcorn collecting—should the ambiguous ones be documented too?

In the Database, our gatekeepers try to highlight clear, straightforward, unambiguous examples of an eggcorn. And I think that’s a good policy. But here on the forum, many of us purposely include “borderline” or “ambiguous” examples along with the less questionable ones—I’ll often put citations that might be closer to straight malaprops or misspellings toward the end of my list of examples. I think it’s useful to show the full range.

Is such ambiguity/indeterminacy known to make eggcorns more likely to survive?

I’m not positive I understand the question. And if I do understand it, then I don’t think you’ll find a consensus answer among the regulars here. It’s my own impression that a reshaping will be more common and widespread if it a) makes sense to users and b) doesn’t draw too much attention to itself. But my criteria a) and b) can be at odds with each other. I can illustrate a) through a post I just made on “despicable>>despeakable/disspeakable.” I noticed there that even though “disspeakable” is further from the original form than “despeakable,” it got more Google hits than the latter form. And I think that’s because the “disspeakable” variant was a bit more transparent for users—it turned the first syllable into a more immediately recognizable prefix. As for b), I think a good example is “fearsome>>fiercesome” posted by our regular Ken Lakritz. This reshaping gets an amazing number of Google hits—many, many thousands. And unlike most classic eggcorns, it appears with surprising frequency in edited prose. Books.google.com shows that Anne Rice, for instance, uses it in her novel The Witching Hour. And it also occurs in the work of other popular writers, like Faye Kellerman and Jacqueline Carey. But I think it sneaks past so many editors and others for reasons that also make it somewhat ambiguous as an eggcorn. Truly “classic” eggcorns draw upon “new” imagery that can seem startling if you only know the standard form. “Eggcorn,” for instance, looks pretty strange if you only know “acorn,” and when Mark Liberman first discussed it, there were only a few dozen hits for the term. The “egg” imagery made sense to some users, meaning that it could repeatedly be reinvented independently by certain speakers. But I think it drew too much attention to itself to spread quickly from user to user—people noticed it too easily. In other words, the radical semantic reshaping of the word also guaranteed that its potential set of users was pretty limited. “Fiercesome,” by contrast, draws less attention to itself because “fierceness” and “fearsomeness” are closely related ideas; semantically, the reshaping doesn’t seem so odd. But since “fiercesome” doesn’t have a major change of imagery at its heart, its status as an eggcorn is somewhat ambiguous; it’s a really interesting reshaping, but it doesn’t answer to the criteria for eggcornicity as fully as “eggcorn” does. (I’d say that “fiercesome” lies about halfway between being an eggcorn and being what Arnold Zwicky has called a “flounder.”) So in that sense—yes, the reshapings that are most widespread, that are hardiest out in the wild, tend to have a certain ambiguity to them as far as eggcorn status goes. At least I think so—David Tuggy will probably pop up now to explain why he disagrees.

I hope that makes some sense.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2010-07-01 16:17:53)

#6 2010-07-01 17:36:37

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

(David Tuggy popping up to explain that he agrees —at least until he thinks on it a little longer :-) )
But, yes, it would be good to agree first, for answering that question, on what it means to “survive” in this context. Make it into the Valhalla of the Database? Move into mainstream speech (thereby probably ceasing to be an eggcorn)? Continue as standard in perpetrators’ usage? Hang around for centuries on the periphery of the language?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer