Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-03 17:56:14

David Bird
Eggcornista

a pungent for a penchant

The English commentator on this week’s World Cup soccer game pronounced penchant in the French style, something like poncho. This penchant for francisation leaves the door wide open for misinterpretation of a penchant as everything from pigeon to pungent. “To have a pungent for” might be like “to have a sharpened taste for”, or dare I say, to stink about? The object of desire is like snuff or surströmming to the afflictionado? In several of the examples, the leaning is towards something punchy, which could get up your nose.

Laguna Beach seen from NY
sandy beaches and a pungent for obnoxiously entertaining high school cats whose parents named them things like “Tessa” and “Cami”

Who is Northern Ireland
He also has a pungent for cigars.

Religious wars
an evil cult in the guise of a peaceful religion and its Allah is actually a bloodthirsty god that has a pungent for killing

Video game personality
his calm, friendly nature disintegrates, giving way to a more serious, down to Earth James, having a greater pungent for fighting, and an occassional bout with absolute insanity.

Law blog
one of the best in the world in the fight against criminal enterprise because of his pungent for selective prosecution.

Home decorating blog
your height-fearing paint-aholic wife with her pungent for color and scheme change fluctuating every day of the week

Theatre blog
Popular folk form of Tamasha of Maharashtra with its pungent for humour and satire was also exploited for political purposes.

And in case you were wondering:

Addiction study
I had a ‘poncho’ for drugs you know—from an early age, I always wanted to use drugs.
(nonce)

See also penchant » pension

#2 2010-07-05 03:49:55

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: a pungent for a penchant

Your ability to find multiple hits for things my instincts say should be Googlenopes is just amazing.

And then there are the folks who have a Pynchon for reclusive writers. This may be a Lehmann’s term, but in both examples “pynchon” is in lowercase:

I have several I wear to work around the house in for $10-$20 but then I have my nicer ones which I have a pynchon for that are 501’s which are more expensive but I like the button ups.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index … 417AANirTI

why am I not surprised? I seem to have a pynchon for cold weather.
http://thecauseofpeace.com/748a0763-6bc … db02f.html

#3 2010-07-05 08:10:11

David Bird
Eggcornista

Have a pynchon for is astonishing. No. Flabbergasting. The tables are turned, how could you even think to look for that.

A lesser target but still a nonce, and that only because it is transcribed from speech:

“Choosing the Arts Council”:
My predecessor and my successor had a pinch on for retired judges, retired civil servants, and the only change was that they replaced some of these with people from the corporate sector.

Last edited by David Bird (2010-07-05 08:30:24)

#4 2010-07-06 16:00:24

fpberger
Eggcornista

Here’s one that doesn’t sound like the original, but kind of LOOKS like it, with the ch looking kind of like a d. For those who never use the word in conversation anyway, maybe this is more important? Not sure what the cognitive link would be, though—maybe that those things that you gravitate towards are metaphorically attached to you like a pendant on a necklace?

www.danceuniverse.co.kr/news/vanhauen.htm
“Malene also enjoys reading and shopping, while Kenn has a pendant for computers and classic cars. ”

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_My-Otome_manga_characters
“She has a pendant for heavy artillery and a dislike of Otome.”

catinfor.com/en/2010/04/09/the-ipad/
“Apple has a pendant for high glossy screens as I mentioned previously and they are not to everyone’s taste.”

#5 2010-07-06 16:18:49

David Bird
Eggcornista

Esculent. A pendant must be like a locket, a token of secret devotion. Or you could express your devotion to the world:

Teacher review
He has a pennant for plain ties and nautical tie pins and wears the same suit every day.

Movie review—Mr. Brooks seems like an average, hard working, successful Joe with a psychotic twist, his alter ego, who has a pennant for impersonal direct killing.

Soap review
when Lucas came on the show he was a bit of a bad guy..and he has a pennant for guns!!I

Edit: On second thought, ‘has a pennant for’ could be either ‘is a fan of’ or ‘has won a trophy for’.

Last edited by David Bird (2010-07-06 16:46:09)

#6 2010-07-06 18:47:00

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

The “pend” root in several of its usages seems to have a meaning of a tendency towards happening; e.g. matters that are pending , or impending doom. So a pendant for Verbing makes good sense to me. It would work better if it were a pendancy , and sure enough:

Just keep in mind I have a pendancy for overkill…if I sink one…I will want to sink a hundred.

Only moustached chefs with a pendancy for alcohol and 2nd division boolin clubs

If you have a pendancy for futuristic realms, such as unexplored regions of space or new technology yet to be discovered, then be our guest,

Not common. And even when it occurs, likely to be a malapropism for tendency :

Now breeding a dog with a pendancy for breathing disorder with a dog that’s known to be excessively hyper, I don’t see any way around that

It looks like this John Wall kid, as talented as he is and all that, seems to have a pendancy for procrastination and drama.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#7 2010-09-20 14:26:42

David Bird
Eggcornista

Photography board
I’m mostly using 400 ATM as my photography teacher has a pedant for it… The other teacher in the department is all for 200 ¬_¬

Three punctilious hits.

#8 2010-09-20 15:52:41

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

With a puncheon for pompoms and an adortion of all that be vintage; we spend most of our time hunting out shabby old knick knacks…. ...

Along the way he would meet the likes of a young horse wrangler with a puncheon for drawing named Charles Marion Russell. ...

For years, Musky anglers who have a puncheon for surface lures, have sought to emulate nature’s water slap in the belief that this natural sound would …

Semantics? Haven’t a clue.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#9 2023-11-15 04:07:45

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Here’s punchent revealing the olfactory blow administered by pungent.

SOLVENT LAKKABENSIINI 1050 FINNISH 1L – HIGHLY PURIFIED WHITE SPIRIT WITHOUT A PUNCHENT ODOR.

The Tropicana Cookies is the strongest smelling strain I have had the likes to try. It has a punchent lemon Clorox smell.

A punchent smell from the dhothi which was a mixture of oil used in temple lamps, Sandalwood [Chandana] and sweat I experienced on opening the packet and …

She started the process four days before by placing a chuck roast in a punchent mix of apple cider vinegar, lemons, bay leaves, gloves and …

Gloves, eh? Please remove before serving.

#10 2023-11-18 04:36:51

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Bare-knuckle boxing, Peter? At our age?

Why is Wuthering Heights difficult to read? Quora
Jun 27, 2018 — The one who has a punchent for classic literature will not find it that difficult.

Seems unlikely to be eggcornish. Still … maybe you feel the punch of classic literature? Or smell it, as Peter suggests above?
There are not many of them out there. The following is self-descriptive (not to say over the top, easy-over the top even):

[article] A federal judge was driven to rhyme after receiving a hard-boiled egg in the mail from a prison inmate protesting his diet. U.S. District Court Judge James Muirhead reached for Dr. Seuss’ “Green Eggs and Ham” for inspiration after getting the egg from inmate Charles Jay Wolff.¶
“I do not like eggs in the file,” Muirhead wrote. “I do not like them in any style. I will not take them fried or boiled. I will not take them poached or broiled. I will not take them soft or scrambled/Despite an argument well-rambled.”¶
He then ordered the egg destroyed: “No fan I am/Of the egg at hand. Destroy that egg! Today! Today! Today I say! Without delay!”

[comments] The judge’s ruling was eggs-cellent. <¶>
Off to a punitentiary with you to serve your punance!<¶>
Hey, there was no yolk in your joke. Omelet you get away with it this time.<¶>
Are you a pundit with a punchent for listening to punk rock and attemping to punish people?<¶>
That was just eggs-cruciating to read.

I laughed so hard I swallowed it down the wrong pipe. Eggs-aspirating, that.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2023-11-18 05:06:35)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer