Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-07 18:47:46

jorkel
Eggcornista

Not one CENTILLA (Scintilla)

Google hits on July 7, 2010
302,000 “Not one scintilla”
16 “Not one centilla”
Analysis by Joe Krozel

Scintilla derives from the Latin for spark and conveys the notion of a small amount. The eggcorn “centilla” conveys the same sense of smallness as “cent” does on a money scale … with the -illa suffix to either give it a chic slangy feel or endow it with a diminuitive ending (albeit fictitious). Some eggcorn utterers may even think the Centilla to be the smallest coin in some weak foreign currency … apparently worth less than a cent of U.S. currency to make it worth mentioning. With this latter eggcorn route, there may be an idiom blend with “not one cent,” but I still see it as largely derived from the mishearing of “not one scintilla” ... otherwise, why add the -illa ending?

Examples:
Lionizing a Byrd, with comical results – Tuesday, Jul. 6, 2010Jul 6, 2010 … There is not one centilla of evience, that people under his leadership comitted one illegal act. He was a member for such a short time he …
www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Lionizing… – Cached

The 2010 CCHA Championships 3/19-20: FSU, Miami, Michigan, and NMU …20 posts – 14 authors – Last post: Mar 16
NMU has tremendous respect fo Miami but not one centilla of fear. In fact, NMU would love to face Miami. Not so much the other way around. ...
board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=89627&page=2 – Cached

Beware of Jaime Lawhorne—Frutaiga Distributor How do I …8 posts – 4 authors – Last post: Sep 22, 2008
not one centilla of a hesitation to put up the money. It may also be that you’re both Con Men and one manuevered better than the other. ...
help.youtube.com › Discussions › How do I…? – Cached – Similar

Last edited by jorkel (2010-07-07 18:50:56)

#2 2010-07-07 20:50:20

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Not one CENTILLA (Scintilla)

Excellent and totally credible. I had to check to convince myself that there’s no such thing as a centilla. I must be thinking of a centime? Or a centile.

#3 2010-07-07 21:53:07

klakritz
Eggcornista

And then there’s ‘scentilla’ – the barely perceived item leaves only a faint odor.

I do not for one scentilla of a moment accept as fact that our children are less educable than Asians.
conversations.blackvoices.com/.../c1666267c6474d32b3837ae076ce20aa?

Never before has a major piece of legislation passed without a scentilla of bipartisan support.
www2.macleans.ca/.../healthcare-bill-expected-to-pass-top-democrat/

He is to comedians what Michael Bay is to film directors, a hack without a scentilla of originality who is packaged just so.
www.monstersandcritics.com/.../Comics_n … _Dane_Cook

If you have even a scentilla of decency you will write a follow-up post retracting your totally stupid and unsubstantiated comment …
www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/cr … ndex2.html

As far as running any phase of a baseball team, they have not one scentila of skill.
www.nypost.com/p/.../mets_lost_at_lsZU4 … IAZQQY4TbP

#4 2010-07-08 08:19:42

jorkel
Eggcornista

While doing a Google search on Scentilla just now I located this Eggcorn thread for Scintilla/Scentilla:

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=2991

In that thread, TootsNYC mentioned that “scentilla” might contain a contribution from “cent,” but the notion wasn’t carried any further than that. E.g., no mention of “Centilla.”

#5 2010-07-08 13:09:12

patschwieterman
Administrator

Yes, a great find—we’ve been blessed with a bunch of them lately.

This should have been staring me in the face after TootsNYC’s comment on the “scentilla” thread.

Board footer