Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-13 16:29:33

crice

jig solve puzzles for jigsaw puzzles

Ran across this one in a comment to the ProfHacker blog at the Chronicle. The writer states that he has aphasia, but I don’t think the condition should rule out his usage as an eggcorn.

“I have described aphasia as trying to solve jig solve puzzles with pieces missing.”
http://chronicle.com/blogPost/A-Brief-W … ote/25291/
Comment 7 from bbaylis to the post “A Brief Word from an Evernote Convert” by Kathleen Fitzpatrick, July 6, 2010, 11:00 AM ET
ProfHacker, the Chronicle of Higher Education

Google search yields no additional instances of this eggcorn.

#2 2010-07-14 10:05:25

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: jig solve puzzles for jigsaw puzzles

Welcome to the forum, Crice. This could be a nice eggcorn, but the rarity and the avowed speech problems of the person at the helm suggest caution. It looks a bit like he/she has made what we delicately call a WTF typo, wherein the brain, primed with the word “solve”, slots it into the spot prepared for “saw”, through a momentary inhabitation of the fingers by devils.

There is another credible-looking hit, in the title for a web page.

Create Jigsolve Puzzle software
http://create.software.informer.com/dow … ve-puzzle/

#3 2010-07-14 10:39:18

kem
Eggcornista

Re: jig solve puzzles for jigsaw puzzles

Yes, I’m surprised at its rarity. My instincts say that this one should be all over the web, and it isn’t. Spelling catchers would filter out some of the one-word examples (“jigsolve”), of course.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer