Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-14 22:32:01

David Bird
Eggcornista

"umveldt" for "umwelt"

A veld or veldt is an open rural space in South Africa, a kind of scrubland. According to Wikipedia, “the word veld (velt in Middle High German, and feld in Old High German) is preserved also in the Afrikaans and Dutch, literally meaning ‘field’.” This word is precariously close to the German word “welt”, which is pronounced velt but means “world” (as far as I know – I’ve ascended beyond my normal level of incompetence here).

This is germane here because of the philosopher-sociologists, for lack of a more fitting term, Mssrs. Jakob von Uexküll and Thomas A. Sebeok, who developed a theory in semiology (again, I think that’s what it is) based on a new vision of each animal’s view of the world, its umwelt, pronounced “oomvelt”. Although diffferent organisms share the same environment, their experience of that milieu can be profoundly different, and one can’t understand their behaviour nor their conception of the universe without grokking their umwelt. Or without taking a stroll through their personal umveldt.

Class notes, What controls behavior
Roeder set out to determine the umveldt of a moth in terms of its perception of sounds. Von Uexkull pointed out that an animal’s psychological or behavioral environment, its umveldt, is determined by its sensory capabilities.

Right vs. Left
It appears that the song you reference did not penetrate my umveldt, sorry.

Natural history of slipper lobsters
vision may make a greater contribution to the umveldt of many species within this family that live in shallow waters.

Essential teachings of Sword combat
To paraphrase and summarize (and hopefully not misrepresent), the “understanding why” Wayne alludes to is the gokui, the “umveldt” Dave alludes to is the gokui, and the “koan” Ellis alludes to is the gokui.

#2 2010-07-14 23:54:15

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "umveldt" for "umwelt"

Hilarious. We should make a list of murdered philosophical terms. They lend themselves to misuse. We have done Buridan’s Ass and Machiavelli

In honor of your eggcorn, my favorite philosophy song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQycQ8DA … re=related

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2010-07-15 01:19:28

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Who else went looking for veldtanschauung? It’s there but only as a high-brow pun.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#4 2010-07-15 01:34:02

patschwieterman
Administrator

Who else went looking for veldtanschauung?

Not me. But I did a search just yesterday for “grammatischer vexal” (“grammatischer Wechsel”). I was, sadly, googlenoped.

And what, you may ask, is grammatischer Wechsel? It is the gokui!

#5 2010-07-15 10:26:05

kem
Eggcornista

I went looking for “Das Wahre ist die Gans (Gänse)” variation of Hegel’s famous “Das Wahre is das Ganze,” which would have been off-the-charts funny (“Truth is a goose”), but alas, it wasn’t on the web.

Have we covered other philosophical terms on this forum?

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer