Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-16 22:13:22

klakritz
Eggcornista

'retrogarde' for 'retrograde'

I think this modified word has been influenced by, and stands in opposition to, ‘avante garde.’ (There are also some hits for ‘anterogarde’ in place of ‘anterograde.’) Examples-

He is using a straw man to silence those who do not choose to be silent in the face of a retrogarde, destructive pope …
www.forward.com/articles/12731/

This retrogarde motion has now stopped and Saturn will start moving direct and will be seen in the zodiacal sign of Cancer in a few months.
peopleinaction.com/board/2/1266.html

This is known as retrogarde motion and will take Mars back into Taurus before, on the 2nd of February 2008, it moves eastwards again …
www.jodrellbank.manchester.ac.uk/astron … nov07.html

The first possibility is of diabetes which can cause neuropathy of the bladder sphincter and hence retrogarde ejaculation. ...
www.medhelp.org/posts/Urology/Reverse.. … ../1211432

Retrogarde Amnesia. Very common in people who have suffered from a mild stroke.
www.scrapheap-challenge.com/viewtopic.p … 095&sid…

Replica Franck Muller Double Retrogarde Hour Flyback Function …
In our site ,you can buy the cheapest Franck Muller Double Retrogarde Hour Flyback Function Automatic replica watches.
www.mirrorwatch.com/.../franck-muller-d … 10256.html

#2 2010-07-17 15:41:08

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: 'retrogarde' for 'retrograde'

I think it’s possible that “avant-garde” is influencing the spelling of “retrograde” for some people, but even beyond simple metathesis there’s an added layer here in that “retro-garde” as a counterpoint to “avant-garde” has been around for at least a couple of decades in art and music criticism. The term is especially associated with the Slovenian art movement/collective NSK (the band Laibach is probably NSK’s most visible manifestation for Americans), but it also shows up in other contexts:

Musical artists such as Tom Shaker and the Cats and the Inbred Knucklehead feed the appetites of lovers and friends, while creating a music scene that is simultaneously and fashionably avant-garde and retro-garde.
http://www.wantedinrome.com/articles/co … d_art=1005
[Entertainment article from an Italian advertising periodical]

The term hasn’t made it into the OED yet, however.

#3 2015-02-03 22:41:48

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: 'retrogarde' for 'retrograde'

This recently showed up in a comment in my email inbox:

It’s like what Lydia Lunch said at the avant grade fest…

There are a few other examples around, such as:

I think this pair is pretty avant grade!
photo caption

New production of Prokofiev’s Romeo & Juliet very avant grade but hits the mark
title of ballet review

I would think the pronunciation is too different to be an earcorn, but this could easily be an eyecorn. The plausible meaning-connection might be “avant grade” as a quantification, gradation, rating, of the level of progressiveness or experimentalness..

Board footer