Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-22 13:52:52

kem
Eggcornista

falderal variants

“Folderol,” a noun referring to something flimsy, whimsical, pointless, derives from a string of meaningless sounds in an old song chorus. The vector of the word through English is similar to the one taken by “tra-la-la,” which also began as senseless singing syllables and can now be used as a noun to mean an exultation, a commotion.

Dictionaries recognize two spellings, one with Os, one with As: “folderol” and “falderal.” In its earliest written forms, when users were more conscious of its derivation, the word was often hyphenated (e.g., “fal-de-ral”).

The first syllable of the word is sometimes changed into a more recognizable word. “Fallderal” is perhaps the most common misspelling, but it is difficult to see what the semantic bridge between “falderal” and “fall” might be. “Faulderal” also appears, perhaps invoking the semantics of “fault.” One user even manages to squeeze in the word “fowl” ...

Programming forum: “Better yet I would like to stick my foot up Bill Gates ass for not writing PDS 7.1 to compile to windows and we wouldn’t be going thru all this fowlderal !”

but this spelling may be a pun.

A more secure claim for eggcorn status bases itself on the last syllable of the term. Thousands of writers seem to think that the word ends in “-all,” perhaps because the word is often used in inclusive groupings (“all this falderall”).

Two examples:

Tex programming newsgroup post: “I am mystified by all the folderall you caused. ”

Motorcycle forum: “My only other comment is that much of the falderall about these shoes must be getting posted by people that want to sell gear driven cams or conversion kits.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2010-07-22 16:03:09

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: falderal variants

There is a pretty strong connection between what falls ( offal = off-fall ) and junk or worthless trash, so that might conceivably give a meaningfulness to fall-deral .
Another variant:

f course, some small business may just prefer to avoid the foulderol all together, terminate all their health care plans and just dump

Again, it could make sense, but it was a googlenonce, and may have been purposeful, etc.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2010-07-22 16:14:52)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2010-07-22 16:39:56

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: falderal variants

Folderall might be “folder-all”, a collection of scraps in a folder, or a collection of crap in folders, which fits my office.

Falderal provides further fodder to gnaw on. I don’t think fodder here means food. Maybe things they try to feed you?

Get tough on Korea
no more diplomatic fodderall..go for the jugglar!

Daily paper blog
moments of brilliance amidst the mountains of fodderall that churn through my mind

Business newsvine
the poppycock, balderdash and fodderall spewed by government bureaucrats

Board footer