Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-23 10:06:19

kem
Eggcornista

pistons << pistils

My grandson and I were dissecting flowers today, looking at the various flower parts (sepals, petals, stamens, pistils, etc). His grandmother leans over to see what we are doing. She points to a flower and remarks on the “flower pistons.”

Dang, I thought, she’s right: some of the pistils, the female flower parts with the ovary, style, and stigma, do look like a bit like engine pistons, especially when they have enlarged stigmas. See this picture of hibiscus pistils, for example. Even pistils with smaller stigmas look like pistons when you turn them upside down.

And yep, others have made the same eggcornical error:

Comment on an anthropomorphized flower picture: “However, the flower pistons kinda scare me.”

Fabric art sale site: “I’ve attached a plated metal filigree flower to the wool and all of the flowers are embellished with quality glass, semi-precious, and / or japanese beads ( flower pistons, etc.) that have been securely handsewn to the piece. ”

Blog about two children: “Mol’s [decorated boots] are actually more of a jumping off point for storytelling. The flower pistons become snakes, and she tells me about that they’re up to. ”

Tin can art brooch: “LAYERS: red center, red poinsettia flower with green leaves and yellow flower pistons ”

Word blending could also enter the picture. “Piston/pistil” confusers may be feeling the auditory attraction of the ending of “stamen.”

Last edited by kem (2010-07-23 10:07:55)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer