Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-24 09:20:58

klakritz
Eggcornista

'harmicide' for 'homicide'

Uncommon.

Vancouver has the highest bank robbery, most number of robbery, and at par on harmicide with NY….
www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php … tpage;...0

Nope, you were thinking of committing Justifyable Harmicide. Not a thing wrong with it.
adayinthewind.blogspot.com/2007/02/eat-this.html

Even the police got involed because of my harmicidal plans, but still they still continue to piss me off.
michaelbenaudis.com/a-look-back-at-columbine-10-years…/4913/

... workers found hiding from a tree in Kentaki with the work fed on his chest commited suicide and stage his death and looked like a harmicide. ...
my.putclub.com/?action-viewthread-tid-202911

Last edited by klakritz (2010-07-24 09:21:53)

#2 2010-07-24 09:40:56

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'harmicide' for 'homicide'

Lovely, deadly harmicide. An instant favorite for me.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2010-07-24 09:44:20)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2010-07-24 14:51:42

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: 'harmicide' for 'homicide'

It’s a real natural, but it’s definitely really rare – I have doubts about most of the citations here. The first example looks good in isolation, but the same poster uses the spelling “hearthquake” for “earthquake” elsewhere in the same thread – I think we’re dealing with a punster. In the second citation, the original poster had admitted to a desire to poke another woman in the eye and then push her face into the food she was eating; in the comments thread, one of the respondents jokingly called that “harmicide” – the action would be harmful, but probably not homicidal. The fourth citation is from one of those Chinese sites for English learners: someone posts a short news article as an MP3 file, and then everyone has a go at transcribing it. This particular poster is having a good deal more trouble than most of their fellow learners – “Barack Obama,” for instance, is transcribed as “Blark Obama.” I’m sympathetic – I’ve done this same exercise in Icelandic, and I’m very glad my amusing early efforts weren’t made available online. But the level of familiarity with English for this person may be fairly low, and I’m not sure we can count this instance as an eggcorn. (Looking at this site may be interesting for some regulars here – the mistakes can be pretty instructive.) That leaves the third citation; I think that writer was indeed serious, or at least wanted people to believe he was serious – and we’re talking I-hope-someone-thought-to-contact-the-authorities serious. This is the only one of the four that looks like reasonably good evidence to me. Harmicide is very cool, but it’s usually the result of wordplay.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2010-07-24 21:20:40)

Board footer