Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-25 17:02:48

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Doubty" for dowdy

“Dowdy” has been used for 400 years as noun and adjective. It originally implied disapproval of the person, though now it has come to mean only the dress, especially today, out-of-fashion clothing. This disapproval is also expressed as “doubty”.

Youtube comment
uh if you watch the season they said doubty … 12 times. When i design, I make a woman look proper, yet still sexy.

Doll makeover
Doubty to Diva!

Makeover show
Even her clothes remained doubty, just an updated version of doubty.

Ruined changing room experience
Dear middle aged doubty looking gay man who works in urban outfitters…
Compliments are always nice and well appreciated.
Unfortunately, you decided to borderline on creepy and ruin my changing room experience.

#2 2010-07-26 00:27:45

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "Doubty" for dowdy

Very nice find, and totally credible. I can easily imagine the scenario where someone hears the word “dowdy” to describe an old-fashioned person and parrots the criticism elsewhere—only to spew out the eggcorn “doubty” ... suggesting that the way that particular person dresses casts doubt on his/her fashion sense. (And it certainly carries a bit of irony when conveyed as a criticism).

I’ll toss this one in with the other 40 in my Top 20 favorites of 2010.

Last edited by jorkel (2010-07-26 00:38:14)

Board footer