Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-26 12:12:04

klakritz
Eggcornista

'limpet pool' for 'limpid pool'

This substitution would be a mere malapropism were it not that limpets inhabit pools. Examples:

If anyone asked me my perfect woman, I’d say a red head with high cheekbones and limpet pool eyes that just make you melt…
all-netbook-news.info/drwho/page/1

...and the seagull droppings flecking his wild mane of hair shone like doubloons in the moonlight of his limpet pool eyes.
headburroantfarm.wordpress.com/page/30/?pages-list

...they can be as tranquil as a limpet pool, or as violent as a cyclone…and are usually both.
www.redheads.org/comparison.html – Cached – Similar

MY THERAPY | Abuse Recovery…I am the rock in the limpet pool of light.
abuse-recovery.com/abuse-recovery/my-therapy-2211598.html

Love Antonio Badass’s limpet-pool eyes, voice and most everything else …
wscdn.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/F42604?thread=139168&skip…

An ever-blossoming limpet pool. I wait on its shores, listening to the droplets creating ripples on its surface.
www.gamingforce.org/forums/journal.php? … userid=122

#2 2010-07-26 13:10:28

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: 'limpet pool' for 'limpid pool'

Ah, a little beaut Ken, but I must admit to being puzzled that anyone could find an eye rimmed by calcareous excrescences even vaguely attractive.

#3 2010-07-26 13:19:08

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

And of course:

“myriad fragments of oystershells, mussels and limpids”.

“Forage for sea food (mussels, fish, limpids, leaves, roots)”

“Snails limpids abalony and fish”

“We have mussels, anenamys (excuse spelling) pery winkles and limpids”

Mind you, ‘limpet pool’ meaning ‘rock pool’ works in a way that ‘mussels and limpids’ doesn’t.

Numerous hits for “limpid mines” also suggest the eggcornlessness of the switch round.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#4 2010-07-26 14:43:03

patschwieterman
Administrator

Yeah, this one’s a toughie because it can make some sense, but as JuanTwoThree pointed out the probability of misspelling is high.

Limpets can live many places in the intertidal zone—and beyond—but they do like tranquil tidal pools because they find a dependable source of algae there. And such pools tend to be fairly “limpid”—so in marine environments, at least, limpet pools are often limpid pools. If people are using “limpid pool” as a metaphor for tranquility and peacefulness, the “limpet” substitution works pretty well. But as Peter noted, when the goal of the metaphor is to highlight the beauty of someone’s eyes, “limpet pools” becomes grotesque enough that one would prefer to find out that it was a misspelling.

Board footer