Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-26 17:48:11

David Bird
Eggcornista

"clothes" for close

If ever there was a case demanding instant skepticism, this might be it. But look these over. The use of “clothes” for the eyes, for example, especially in the form of “eyes clothed” and “her eyes were clothes”, has an inescapable logic. OK, yes, WTF typos might explain some, but I think not all, of the instances that can be found out there.

Household tips – probable WTFT
Clothes the door to your laundry room in the summer to keep the heat from entering the rest of the house. In the winter, do the opposite and keep the door open.

Washing tips – another WTFT
Put your load of clothes into the washer and clothes the door tightly.

Emotional wardrobe
Just clothes your eyes and imagine the benefits:

Surviving the roller coaster
hold your breath and squeeze your muscles
you know you’re not gunna fall
clothes your eyes
you wont hit yourself
just do it :-)

Surviving the urinal
If you start feeling anxious while at the urinal, clothes your eyes, focus on your breathing and imagine yourself in your quiet space.

Dance visualization
I’m talking clothes your eyes, start a warm bubble bath, hop in, put on some light jazz, and let yourself relax

Cartoon review
Even when their eyes were clothed or when they were put into separate rooms— they were somehow able to figure out what the other was thinking.

Breathing exercise
Participants now are asked to sit in a relaxed position with eyes clothed and mentally ‘sweep’ or ‘bathe’ themselves form head to toe seven times with each of these seven colors

Fan fiction
When Jaejoong released Changmin from his capture, he could see that his eyes were clothes and his lips were parted

Meeting reptiles while astral projecting
Then, I could still see, but my eyes were clothes, and I could see that the creature was standing at the foot of my bed.

#2 2010-07-26 23:14:16

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "clothes" for close

People have a much harder time spelling “clothes” correctly than “close” so you would think the substitution would be uncommon. I wonder if an errant spellchecker had much to do with those reshapings. Anyway, it is fanciful to think that “clothes” might have been intended as part of an imagery shift. It has an almost romantic appeal to it.

Board footer