Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-29 18:46:29

klakritz
Eggcornista

'throw (one's) hand into the ring'

Examples.

... if numbers stay the way they are, i’ll throw my hand into the ring…
www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=56758

In the months since I stepped down, things have grinded to a near-complete halt, so it is with some trepidation that I throw my hand into the ring …
www.bazpedia.com/.../Wikipedia~Arbitrat … _42cb.html

This is my first real macro story, took this contest to stop dragging my feet and throw my hand into the ring.
forums.macrophile.com/viewtopic.php?t=8201

I can understand that aspect logically, but I feel like I need to throw my hand into the ring and close the account on principle. ...
ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Chase-to…/548735

So if there is a play you would like to suggest or to throw your hand into the ring for Directing or any of the other tasks please now is the time …
www.peninsulatheatre.com.au/newsnov.htm

In 1990 he decided to throw his hand into the ring and joined an amateur dramatic society, which led to him applying to and graduating from the prestigious …
www.farjo.net/page.asp?id=187

#2 2010-07-29 19:22:00

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'throw (one's) hand into the ring'

Steve White reported as a Helenism :

Hands off to that guy

Just maybe (hope on, hope ever) someone somewhere has spoken of a gentleman offering a lady his hat in marriage.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2010-07-29 19:23:38

David Bird
Eggcornista

I coulda sworn we’d done this one – I even knew what to look for. Maybe it’s on David T’s home site? Oops, David snuck in a reply, so I guess not. Weird.

3D TV
Another service that will be starting in June 2010 is ESPN 3D. ESPN is ready to throw their head into the ring to start providing 3D sports at their finest.

#4 2010-07-29 22:04:02

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

There’s possibly some kind of blending going on with throwing your hand in/down in a card game: a kind of finality to the action, whether you win or lose.
Tocayo, I used it in the book (along with many of the other Helenisms, thanks to Steve). I thought I had “throw your hand in” too, but haven’t found it. Still, it is probably true that A hand in the sparrow is better than two in the bush .

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer