Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-30 18:22:46

klakritz
Eggcornista

'older ego' for 'alter ego'

This is inspired by Peter’s recent and mystifying ‘alto ego.’ ‘Older ego’ is not at all uncommon, but it’s mostly used with a transparent meaning- to denote someone’s increasingly aged, wise or fragile sense of self. I suspect that these uses are influenced by the sound of ‘alter ego,’ since it would mostly be more appropriate to write ‘old ego’ instead. There are also some, but fewer, uses of ‘older ego’ in which the writer is trying for the meaning of ‘alter ego,’ perhaps with the added idea that the alter is older or wiser. Some examples from the latter group-

Dude, I swear that you are like my older ego.
www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=19343977

... the Sith way: he ignominiously kills the remaining honorable team members in front of the ship, which leads Revan back to his older ego of Darth Revan.
www.freeweb.hu/customstarwars/juhani1.htm

On the left side it is angel Luzifer meeting his older ego devil Luzifer…
vespi.deviantart.com/art/Heaven-n-Hell-30531751

Megan fox at the premiere of ‘Jonah Hex’ 06-17-2010 …
Soon she will be as skinny as her older ego Jennifer Connelly.
92.61.248.146/showthread.php?t=502167&page=2

#2 2010-08-13 13:50:41

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'older ego' for 'alter ego'

“The believer’s soul is a bird which feeds upon the fruits of the trees of Paradise,” according to one Islamic viewpoint. The Golden Bough indicates that this is a common motif. Indeed, there are many folk beliefs related to preventing the escape of the soul from ears, nose and mouth while sneezing or yawning. Traditionally, when a Javanese child was placed on the ground for the first time, it was placed within the chicken coop while the mother made clucking sounds, in order to keep body and soul together.

Facebook Nepal
If you have a passion for Educating myself and competting with my alter eagle!

Myspace profile
Hey peeps, ~~Yes, yes…Although I am originally from Bangkok, Thailand; Majority of the time I like to use my alter-eagle name: Linjin.

Myspace profile II
Funny thing is I pocess an alter eagle, and her name is ‘Blink Amore.’ Whenever I do makeup I become another person in another world!

Last edited by David Bird (2010-08-13 16:51:23)

#3 2010-12-15 18:55:11

burred
Eggcornista

Re: 'older ego' for 'alter ego'

From the higher self to the lower bits.

Hip hop
After that Tina spread ego on the speaker She knocking down his laptop, the phone off the receiver

Teenage hype
I also want anyone interested in posing for me completly nude and spread ego before me

Reality star sex tapes
Why woman feel that have to spread ego to be beautiful I have never understood. ..

Car customization
enter the one of you spread ego on the side mirror while you are licking the antenna. the one you sent me on aim the other day.

Teenagers again
forget the playboy you got something already spread ego in front of you

Last edited by burred (2010-12-15 18:56:25)

Board footer