Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-08-03 22:39:29

jorkel
Eggcornista

In the OFFERING (offing)

Heard this on the weather forecast tonight…
Weatherman was pointing to a storm front, and it sounded as if he was about to say that thunderstorms were in the offing but instead he said that thunderstorms were in the offering. Like all good eggcorns it makes sense either way—and that also makes it hard to follow up with any examples from the internet.

#2 2010-08-03 22:48:14

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: In the OFFERING (offing)

Just located this same eggcorn in the forum:

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=2051

Very interesting that both his post and mine start out with the weather report of the day!

#3 2010-08-04 01:02:44

David Bird
Eggcornista

This is a great eggcorn I hadn’t seen before, so I’m glad you pointed it out again, Joe.

Pat took the trouble in 2007 to say that he had identified all five instances of “change is in the offering”. The same search today turns up seven unique hits. Only two of them are the same as in Pat’s post. It’s an interesting illustration of the turnover of eggcorns on the web, from which we might be able to estimate average eggcorn lifetime, if we knew anything at all about what we were doing, which I don’t, but I’ll look into it.

Here are all the current hits, for posteriority.

All the current hits, saved as text
University of Minnesota Digital Conservancy: Social and Economic …
by RE Rickson – 1974
Fundamental change is in the offering in terms of past and current debates about the relative responsibility of industry to clean public water after they …
purl.umn.edu/92084 – Cached
Building Self Self-esteem In Foster Children (article) by …
12 Sep 2007… consider relocating to a more urban area the next time a job change is in the offering. Investigate schools in your area and locate one …
www.authorsden.com/visit/viewArticle.asp?id=33022 – United States – Cached
Wharton School Publishing: ‘Dude, You Need a CEO’: The Return of …
Or, is he just a victim of the company needing to send a signal to the investment community that a change is in the offering? Cappelli:I don’t see that he …
www.whartonsp.com/articles/article.aspx?p=699246 – Cached
News Desk – Pinewood Residential School
In the educational arena a drastic change is in the offering due to certain decisions taken by CBSE for immediate implementation. ...
pinewoodtinsukia.com/news.html – Cached
‘Dude, You Need a CEO’: The Return of Michael Dell – Knowledge@Wharton 7 Feb 2007
... Or, is he just a victim of the company needing to send a signal to the investment community that a change is in the offering? ...
knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=1654 – Cached – Similar
astrological forecast for april 3 posts – 1 author
Be aware that this September, Saturn moves into your sign and change is in the offering. LIBRA (Sept. 23-Oct. 23)A relationship with life is highlighted for …
www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message368800/pg1 – Cached
Log by Lacey Crawford and company. Telling you what you may not …
... front through which all the restaurant-goers must pass to get to where they can dine. Looks like a change is in the offering. The battle has just begun. ...
www.laceycrawford.com/2005/log2005.html – Cached

Last edited by David Bird (2010-08-04 09:11:33)

#4 2010-08-04 13:46:38

patschwieterman
Administrator

Thanks for taking the time, David B. I’m surprised that the majority of the original 5 are now gone. But eggcorns are fragile things. All of us have had the experience of finding an apparent hit on a site, only to discover that the eggcorn itself is now available only as part of a Google cache, with the standard form taking its place on the actual web page. We’re a kind of preserve for rare, endangered linguistic forms.

Board footer