Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-08-06 13:46:24

klakritz
Eggcornista

'one bit, twice shy' for 'once bit, twice shy'

Dropping two letters changes the grammar of this aphorism. ‘Bit’ goes from verb to noun. The meaning changes from ‘once bitten or attacked, and you avoid the animal that bit you,’ to ‘one instance or small amount of a problem, and you avoid the same circumstance.’ Uncommon. Examples-

I think he wanted to spend the night but alas….one bit twice shy….I had him leave and went to bed by myself …
forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts12071147.aspx

i said the other day those stop losses were trouble one bit twice shy believe me…
www.stockhouse.com/.../MessageDetailThr … x?p…m…

“One bit, twice shy,” is an old saying, but nevertheless very true, and that is the leason why there have been no imported potatoes landed in Wanganui …
paperspast.natlib.govt.nz › ... › 18 Haratua 1907 › Page 6

Believe me, one bit, twice shy! I’m not getting caught again!
www.independent.co.uk/.../revealed-secr … 82735.html

#2 2010-08-06 14:39:17

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'one bit, twice shy' for 'once bit, twice shy'

In this neck of the woods you’re once bitten, twice shy. That can be tweaked to reflect rueful rather than painful experience: Once bitter, twice shy.

Buyer behaviour
the ‘once bitter, twice shy’ consumer may be unwilling to take a chance, again.

There are about 20 unique hits of this, though there may be some intentional play in there.

Board footer