Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-08-07 17:04:22

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'commerce pears' for 'Comice pears'

A valuable commercial commodity, Comice pears are a near-homophone of the eggcornish commerce variety:

... grapes and passion fruit from the passion fllower also she has in her garden apples and soon commerce pears so fruit is abundant yee haa …

But, when was the last time you heard of a Braeburn apple, or Commerce pears or Tender-Stem Broccoli?

Parma ham, poached commerce pear, walnut and fig dressing. £19.00. Leek terrine, pickled Japanese mushrooms, micro salad …

Each ” Commerce ” Pear is peeled by hand with utmost care and attention, leaving the stalk in place to retain firmness and aesthetic appeal. ...

#2 2010-08-08 09:43:29

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'commerce pears' for 'Comice pears'

Here are some niche market varieties to go with the commerce pears.

Still life with decapitated fruit
39 of 44 “OFF WITH HIS HEAD”
Well the title might be a bit over-dramatic but I had to think of something other than “Pear.” Pears, especially Bosch and Angelou, are really great ‘painting’ pears because of the fantastic contrast between the whites of the pulp and the colors of the skins.

Mega Essay, Toni Morrison book
Before passing the threshold of Eva Peace’s labyrinthine house, one might take notice of “the four sickle-pear trees in the front yard”

Acorns: Bosc, Anjou, Seckel

#3 2010-08-10 10:36:02

tyler

Hm. I had always put the stress on the second syllable of “comice” and given the vowel in the first syllable a long sound, i.e. /koÊŠ’miːs/ rhymes with “fleece” and sounds nothing like “commerce”. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard the word spoken by anyone other than my wife who says it the same way. Is this a hyperforeignism and it should really be /’kÉ’mÉ™s/ ?

#4 2010-08-10 13:20:49

patschwieterman
Administrator

I had always put the stress on the second syllable of “comice” and given the vowel in the first syllable a long sound, i.e. /koʊ’miːs/ rhymes with “fleece” and sounds nothing like “commerce”.

That was my first reaction, too. It turns out the difference is a British/American one. The OED gives /’kÉ’mɪs/ as its first pronunciation, but Dictionary.com (based on the (American) Random House Dictionary) gives “kuh-MEES” (/kÉ™’mis/) as the pronunciation. That’s the pronunciation I use, but like Tyler I’m not conscious of having heard the name spoken much, if at all.

“Comice” is the French word for an agricultural cooperative. It appears to have been strongly anglicized in Britain, while we Yanks hold onto to a more French-like pronunciation. I think that’s a not uncommon pattern.

I’ve often wondered about the psychology of anglicization with regard to uncommon or recently borrowed foreign terms. British English seems bravely to anglicize French terms with more frequency than American English does. Is that because the British are more familiar with French—being right there across the channel—and therefore feel more comfortable accommodating French terms to their own linguistic patterns? Or could it reflect a continuing if subdued cultural antagonism between the two former enemies? Or something else?

But there’s probably not one pattern for anglicization. In the US, regional differences in the anglicization of Spanish borrowings are pretty clear, and people who have less familiarity with Spanish are the ones more likely to anglicize. For instance, a number of people have told me that many folks in Minnesota and Wisconsin (i.e., near the Canadian border) pronounce “taco” “tay-koh.” That’s shudder-inducing to a Westerner like me, for whom it’s “tah-koh.”

I was also told that the tacos you get in Madison, Wisconsin taste like they were made by someone who rhymes the name with “fake-o.” But that was in the 90s—maybe Mexican cuisine in Madison has undergone a rebirth.

#5 2010-08-11 03:21:18

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

In the traditional orthography of British greengrocery this fruit is sometimes marked up as Commi’s Pear’s though I can find no online citations bearing the apostrophised version:

This company is famous for it’s Royal Riviera Commis Pears which were being harvested on the weekend.

Board footer