Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-08-11 11:08:22

jorkel
Eggcornista

BARREL down on. (bear)

Google hits on Aug 11, 2010:
4,840,000 – “Bearing down on”
175,000 – “Barreling down on”
Analysis by Joe Krozel

“Bear down on” means: To effect in a harmful or adverse way. But “Bear down” often has a different meaning: To advance in a threatening manner—which may cause some to think of the slang usage of “Barrel,” meaning: To move at a high speed or rate of progress …often recklessly. The net effect is perhaps an idiom blend … but one man’s idiom blend is another man’s eggcorn.

At any rate, the usage “barrel down on” seems a bit unnatural to my ear, and I’m prone to call it a reshaping of “bear down on.” I contend that things can barrel down streets and roads, but not (on) individuals. But I could be wrong: 175,000 Google hits of “barreling down on” suggests the usage is widespread. So, feel free to set me straight on this usage which appears a bit odd to me.

Examples

Hurricane Alex Barreling Down on Northern Mexico(June 30)—Hurricane Alex is poised to sweep into northern Mexico tonight, bringing with it damaging wind, torrential rain and isolated tornadoes.
www.aolnews.com/nation/article/...barre … ./19537763 – Cached

CHART OF THE DAY: Facebook Catching Up To Google And Yahoo As Your …Feb 5, 2010 … Facebook is barreling down on its rivals, threatening to become U.S. web users’ home on the web. Time spent on Facebook soared to 27.6 …
www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-da … tes-2010-2 – Cached – Similar

Kentucky Wildcats FootballWith the season opener barreling down on fans the way a middle linebacker does a running back in the hole CatsPause.com is previewing each position group in …
kentucky.rivals.com/default.asp?type=1 – Cached – Similar

‘He was barreling down on me,’ Chasco Fiesta shooter says during …Jan 27, 2010 … The victim was trying to start a fight and provoked him, shooter testifies. NEW PORT RICHEY — Max Wesley Horn stood up from the witness …
www.tampabay.com/news/...barreling-down … ../1068562 – Cached

#2 2010-08-11 15:51:12

fpberger
Eggcornista

Re: BARREL down on. (bear)

What about the phrase “The rain came barreling down on us”? I hadn’t ever thought very hard about this phrase, which seems to call forth rain barrels, which would be a large quantity of water. I’m noticing that a large number of the hits I see for “barreling down on” are referring to hurricanes or storms.

As support that the the imagery is for the container of water, as opposed to fast rolling motion of the barrel, I also see hits for “The rain came bucketing down”.

Last edited by fpberger (2010-08-11 16:08:09)

#3 2010-08-11 15:58:57

jorkel
Eggcornista

@fpberger
I thought about that weather usage, but I didn’t see it listed in the one dictionary I checked. Seems it could be legit. There are also a lot of Google hits that refer to weather bearing down … not just barreling down. Therefore, I wonder if one usage influenced the other … if only in a subliminal way.

Last edited by jorkel (2010-08-11 16:00:04)

#4 2010-08-29 10:52:01

jorkel
Eggcornista

I was hoping to get more input on this one. (It’s OK to tell me I’m wrong if I am). It’s just that I haven’t seen any usage notes in a dictionary saying that “barrel down on” is legit in the examples I gave previously. Anyone have access to MWDEU?

Last edited by jorkel (2010-08-29 10:57:05)

#5 2010-08-29 12:05:30

David Bird
Eggcornista

“Barreling down the” first shows up in the late 30’s – early 40’s. “Barreling down on” appears at the same time. “Rushing down on” has been around since the 19th c. Barreling down on is legit, I think. I agree with you that there is eggcorn interest there, nevertheless, because of its resonance with bearing down on. I think there’s some bear DNA in that barrel. In your first example, one would normally say that the hurricane was bearing down on the coast, but “barreling down on” says more; it says that it is moving very fast.

Is “bearing down on” the wild card here? It strikes me as an excellent candidate for one of your hidden eggcorns, Joe. Is to bear down on to weigh heavily on, or to take a bearing on, or even to grizzlify? Bear is so protean that you can’t look at it too closely without it changing shape in your hands.

#6 2010-08-29 20:41:41

jorkel
Eggcornista

I completely missed the bear (animal) aspect, David. Good catch with that.

Funny thing about these bear/barrel usages is that when I presented them to my wife she made the exact remarks that I had made in my post … without my leading her toward any particular conclusion. I guess when you get accustomed to hearing “bear down on” you do a double take when “barrel down on” surfaces.

#7 2010-08-30 00:03:01

kem
Eggcornista

I’ve been thinking about the verb “barrel,” meaning to move at a high speed. Where did it come from? It’s an Americanism, we know, and it pops up in the 1930s. I’ve always assumed it had something to do with a barrel, the cask with staves. But barrels don’t really have a connection to speed, do they?

There is another possibility: double barreled carburetors appeared in late 1920s as a popular addendum to race cars. The second barrel (i.e., venturi chamber) in the carburetor kicked in when the driver needed an extra boost for high speed. Could “barreling” have been a piece of racetrack slang that described the point at which cars moved into the second barrel during straightaway accelerations?

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#8 2010-08-30 06:05:46

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I’ve always had the picture of a runaway cask, probably full of liquid or something at least equally heavy (e.g. nails), rolling unstoppably down a hill at the object. The notion of dangerous speed is much less prominent in bear down on, where (for me) the ideas of either heavy pressure on the object or of the subject looming higher and higher over the object as it approaches are strong.
Charles Ruhl’s On Monosemy consists largely of a fascinating discussion of the incredibly polysemous verb bear ; I don’t have my copy available, but his discussion of bear down (on) would be worth consulting. (His overall thesis still makes me shake my head—he essentially argues that all the meanings of bear are not unrelated, and therefore concludes that the verb is monosemous rather than polysemous. What he is really arguing against is a straw-man view that all the meanings are unrelated, i.e. that the verb is a collection of accidental homophones. But that’s not what polysemy looks like, at all—of course polysemous meanings are related. Rarely have I read a book that I enjoyed and agreed with so thoroughly for 95% of what it said, but whose conclusions I disagreed with so violently.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2010-08-30 06:46:13)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#9 2010-08-30 06:23:56

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Both could mean ‘pointing a cannon, perhaps from a greater height’.

‘Bearing down on’ sounds nautical, either the whole ship is heading on a certain bearing or it’s turning to ‘bring its guns to bear’ on the target.

Partridge reckons that one is because out-of-control barrels were notoriously dangerous. No link but eric+patridge+barrel in google books will get you there.

Perhaps they are different sources but are serendipitily close to each other when applied to fast vehicles

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#10 2010-08-30 09:12:46

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I’m with DT and Partridge on this – on any kind of incline a runaway barrel is unstoppable by anything as insubstantial as a human.
Joe, “barrel down on” sounds unnatural to my ear too, but “barrel on down” doesn’t:

What gets me is the crazy drivers out there that just barrel on down the road like it was clear

The notion of unstoppability is present too in the medical sense of bearing down: the second stage of labour.

#11 2010-08-30 09:27:40

kem
Eggcornista

on any kind of incline a runaway barrel is unstoppable

Unstoppable, but not speedy. “Down” is not the only adverbial particle used with the verb “barrel.” Even from the early days of the word’s use we have “barrel along,” “barrel up,” “barrel over.” The notion of speed is in the verb itself. I don’t see any hint in the early uses of knocking things over, crashing into. I wonder if a false etymology might be contributing to the current evolution of the word’s meaning.

#12 2010-08-30 09:43:24

David Bird
Eggcornista

kem wrote:

“Down” is not the only adverbial particle used with the verb “barrel.” Even from the early days of the word’s use we have “barrel along,” “barrel up,” “barrel over.” The notion of speed is in the verb itself. I don’t see any hint in the early uses of knocking things over, crashing into. I wonder if a false etymology might be contributing to the current evolution of the word’s meaning.

How about the then-newly-minted barrel roll?

#13 2010-08-30 10:07:03

kem
Eggcornista

How about the then-newly-minted barrel roll?

The timing of “barrel roll” is right (1920s). So is the popularity of the Beer Barrel polka and barrel of fun. But I don’t see the direct connection to speed that carburetor barreling offers.

#14 2010-08-30 10:48:07

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I’ve no idea when surfing terminology began leaking into mainstream usage, but I doubt it was as early as Kem’s carburetor. Worth considering though:

Surprisingly, the Peter Mel Machine works great in catching very fast, barreling waves up to head high.

For intermediate to experienced surfers: short and fast, barreling wave, shallow waters at the end.

The best boards are rounded pin and pintail boards that you would trust to get you through a very fast barrel section.

#15 2010-08-30 11:06:33

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Whitewater rafting and canoeing have barrel waves, I think, which would date back to logging and exploring days, perhaps. Going over the Niagara falls in one? That’s definitely barrelling down!

Last edited by JuanTwoThree (2010-08-30 11:06:51)

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#16 2010-08-30 11:35:26

jorkel
Eggcornista

The Niagara falls barrel at least offers an imagery that might apply to storms barreling down on people—facetiously, of course. Otherwise, my mind is locked in the notion that things which “barrel down” tend to move along the road … rather than perpendicular to it!

#17 2010-08-30 15:11:50

kem
Eggcornista

I went to the wonderful online archive that Popular Science magazine donated to webbies a couple of years ago to see if I could find any substantiation for my carburetor theory (not conceding, of course, that my speculations need any substantiation). Couldn’t find anything about carburation, but I did come across this 1931 article on barrel-stave toboggans. Another possibility for linking, as the article title does, speed and barrels.

Board footer