Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-08-17 11:51:02

cavity_lee

"contra-ban" for contraband

(aka snooping for liquor, bud and other “contra-ban”)</blockquote> http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=82268562541

They also do not like complicated attire that can conceal contra-ban. (Drugs, weapons, etc.),[/quote] http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index … 301AANrCEQ

Except possibly this isn’t a reparsing at all, just replacing -band with a modern English word that has the same root?

#2 2010-12-17 23:38:06

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "contra-ban" for contraband

“Ban” and “band” (as in “contraband”) do have the same root. Even if “contra-ban” is an eggcorn for some speakers, it isn’t a very potent one-not much re-imaging (unless, of course, the speaker had re-semanticized “band” to mean something like “group” before the switch to “ban”).

Welcome to the forum, cavity_lee.

Last edited by kem (2010-12-17 23:39:02)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2010-12-18 12:13:24

burred
Eggcornista

Ever notice how the replicants always have a number at the end of their name.

Here’s another take: contrabound. The bound would suggest that there are restrictions in place. Or perhaps, taken together, that it is traffic moving against regulations.

Mountain dew
I lived for a short while in a dry county and the moonshiner delivered to your home if he knew you. For the rest of us we had to drive 50 miles to another county for some legal beer, but could not bring it home because you could get fined or put into the county jail with the contrabound if caught.

Visa-free Africa
For visa-free Africa it will creat more contrabound goods

Farm report
The Cuban farmer, Me and my guide sit in a curing shed and pose with contrabound cigars.

Drug smuggling
how was he caught with the contrabound intestinal balloons in solitary confinement!?

A connection to our vagabound / moribound discussions.

Times of India
the treaty has opened the flood gates to increased flow of contrabund goods to india from nepal

#4 2010-12-18 14:46:26

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

There’s only these, but they have their logic:

country bound good is what make him rich on the expense of igbo people we suffered most in this country let all the custom officers be probed for are all thieves if country bound goods will sneak into Nigeria through seaport and airport then why will they size it on it’s way to the east

The herb is a pure herb which is not a country bound goods, this herbal is for treatment of cancer and Anti HIV therapy.

as a result, all sorts of illegal arms, ammunitions and country banned goods find their way into the country unrestrained

(also Nigeria I see)

“Anti-speed radar, the country banned goods, is banned in Taobao.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#5 2010-12-19 21:41:19

patschwieterman
Administrator

I agree with Kem’s assessment of “contra-ban”—but I’m glad the post led to Juan’s contribution of “country bound” and “country banned,” both of which are marvelous.

Board footer