Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-08-22 10:51:44

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Sirius" and "serious" for cirrus

Cirrus clouds are high wispy patterns of ice crystals that form graceful, regular filaments. The Latin word refers to an unravelled hem or a curling fringe or tuft of hair. I take them lightly; others think they are serious. I wouldn’t call this an eggcorn. I don’t see what is serious about them.

Another common misapprehension is to think that they are Sirius clouds, presumably by reference to the dog star. A Lehmann’s term, I think, but one where there is some connection, both being found high in the heavens.

Picture sharing site
Picture taken an night. A full moon rising from the northeast. High serious clouds and the stars can be seen in the picture.

An epistle
the few remaining high serious clouds would catch the last rays of the departed sun

Photos for sale
Dancing Clouds Print: Sirius clouds formation in the fall.

Warming misdirection
Clouds control the heat of the planet directly. The high Sirius clouds are the warming clouds, which prevent heat from the atmosphere to escape out to space.

More than 100 contributors think clouds can be Sirius.

#2 2010-08-22 13:05:58

klakritz
Eggcornista

Re: "Sirius" and "serious" for cirrus

This is s newly discovered reshaping as far as I know. But a long time ago I posted a loosely related one:

‘serious otitis media’ for ‘serous otitis media’

‘Serous otitis media’ is the condition of a thin, clear (serous) fluid filling the middle ear. It’s commonly seen in kids. Sometimes it’s serious and sometimes not.

Last edited by klakritz (2010-08-22 22:13:32)

#3 2010-08-22 14:21:31

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "Sirius" and "serious" for cirrus

Nice, I wasn’t aware of that definition of serous. I did wonder whether some had had “series” in mind when they wrote serious, and I looked for serous as alternative form of serial. There were a few hits but not many.

An obvious alternative was “cerous”, as in “waxy”. Nope.

So serous means thin and clear. Is this related to sere, as in dry? Aha, no, it’s from the same root as serum, as in lymph or whey. So let me look again for those now illuminated hits.

Advice to youth, 1884
These added, we may prognosticate with more certainty the day’s character. The serous clouds, the genial winds and the fragrant odor may portend “pleasant weather.”

Fan fic
The sky had already cradled the moon in a blanket of serous clouds and the stars waltzed over the pale walls of Alfard’s Imperial Palace

Forestry Weather board
Everything covered in ice crystals and the air even has ice crystals and not a cloud but a haze or very high serous clouds, not snow.

Board footer