Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-08-23 01:08:35

mdow

"respected owners" for "respective owners"

Found in one of those ubiquitous YouTube disclaimers:

“Copyright info: I DO NOT OWN THIS, THIS IS OWNED BY THE RESPECTED OWNERS.” (can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87uzTTXqIMY )

Anybody else noticed this sort of thing?

#2 2010-12-17 23:48:18

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "respected owners" for "respective owners"

I’m not sure I see the semantic overlap between “respective” and “respected” that full eggcorn status would require.

Welcome to the forum, mdow.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2010-12-18 05:54:06

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "respected owners" for "respective owners"

I think this one sort of works: the semantic overlap would mostly be “phrase used when talking politely”.

The standard phrase is talking about a kind of parallel alignment, but I think we speakers who use it are aware that we are using somewhat high-falutin’ language, and that many folk will either not understand the word or have to think about it a bit to understand what we are saying. Those who say respected have not caught on to the parallel thing (for them it comes without saying, from the context or just from blithe presumption), but do realize that the phrase sounds impressive/educated/polite or something. The word respected fits that meaning pretty well, especially the polite part (it refers directly to respect felt or at least shown to the owners).

Thus there is a very strong restructuring, enough so that this feels very malapropish and kem’s hesitation is quite understandable; yet the restructured phrase can be used virtually anyplace the original (“acorn”) phrase would fit.

It doesn’t work quite so well in phrases like “take your respected seats” where the modified noun is not a person:

Celebrity Poker Sowdown Taping – [ Traducir esta página ]
They then took their respected seats and Andrew went over the rules of the games and the procedures that would be used during taping.

[I liked the Sowdown; even though I don’t doubt that it was simply an omission typo, it brought images to mind of a flying pig getting shot out of the sky.]

Sometimes the idea that respect in the sense of politeness is in mind becomes a bit ludicrous.:

sear face causing the rear of the bolt to rise and the top locking lugs at the front of the bolt to move slightly forward, off their respected seats. ...

And sometimes the seat may actually be highly thought of:

Manchin has been quick to distance himself from the President, much to the same tune as other Democrats across the country are as they fight for their respected seats.

Anyhow, even when no respect is taken towards the modified noun, respect towards the addressee or towards the conversation in general may be intended; that may be a reasonable definition of what constitutes polite speech. It is much the same process that lets people use hopefully to describe not the way a certain action (the modified verb) is undertaken, but the attitude we hopefully all adopt as we contemplate the situation.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer