Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-08-27 18:45:29

David Bird
Eggcornista

King Jong Ill

Kim Jong Il is a fearless demigod leader whose name confuses a lot of internauts. For the first two slips where he was acknowledged as King, I used only journalistic sources, not blogs. I peg these as WTFT, although dictatorship-tinged, where the ending of Jong has metastasized to Kim.

Daily Mail caption
North Korean leader King Jong-il makes a rare public appearance to commemorate the 15th anniversary of his father’s death

CNN blog caption
Former Ambassador Wendy Sherman has engaged in direct talks with King Jong Il.

“Yahoo questions”:
How did kim join-il become in power?
When did kim john ii come to power?
How long was Kin Jong-il in power?
How many kids to Kim Jong iL have?
Who was king jong-il?

The Huffing post
Ed Schultz slammed Rush Limbaugh during his show’s “Psycho Talk” segment because the conservative radio host compared President Obama to North Korean dictator King Jong Il.

Blog
Is North Korea’s Kim Jong Ill Dying?

Blog
Look at photos of (Kim Jom Ill) of North Korea.

#2 2010-08-28 03:10:29

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Re: King Jong Ill

There are also plenty of people ( here I blush) who at some point thought he was the second Kim Jong:

‘Also, I love Kaity Tong, but did anyone else catch the time she pronounced “Kim Jong Il” as “Kim Jong Two” ??

Kim Jong Il (or as Jesse Helms once referred to him in the Senate, “Kim Jong Two”).

Am I the only one who read the name Kim Jong-Il as Kim Jong-2?

c’est Kim Jon-il, et pas Kim Jong 2.

It must happen before a sick and frustrated Kim Jong 11 packs his bombs in submarines and sends them to unknown destinations’

I expect these are often slurs about someone, untrue stories or FOAF anecdotes,but not all of them.

They remind me of

‘I knew we were doomed when at a national museum we overheard
a teacher walking her middle school class through a WW II section, and
telling the kids all about “world war eleven”’

and many other probably apocryphal stories of the same type. I think it was a Joan Rivers joke.

(I can remember lots of people talking about ‘I CLAUDIUS’ and calling it ‘one clafdifs’ because the BBC called it ‘I CLAVDIVS’. Not all them were joking)

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#3 2010-08-28 14:08:35

patschwieterman
Administrator

An urban legends blog has a few different media accounts of Jesse Helms’ alleged “Kim Jong Two” slip here: http://legendsrumors.blogspot.com/2008/ … econd.html

My favorite is the version (allegedly) from Christopher Hitchens, who said that aides had tried to correct Helms about calling the leader “Kim Jong Two,” providing him with the phonetic pronunication “ILL”—which he then read aloud as “Kim Jong the Third.”

#4 2010-09-01 19:10:00

jorkel
Eggcornista

For so long now the news has been that IL is ILL. Isn’t that enough of a mnemonic for these folks!?!?

Last edited by jorkel (2010-09-01 19:19:15)

#5 2011-02-21 16:33:32

.NetRolller 3D

And gold medal goes to “King John II”.

Board footer