Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-09-03 11:54:22

David Bird
Eggcornista

"dire streets" for dire straits

To be in dire straits is to be in a desperate bind, with little room to maneuver (unless you find yourself strapped to a guitar). Dire streets, on the other hand, evoke dangerous territory or a “bad neighbourhood”. This is one of those reimagings that simplify the somewhat obscure original idiom.

Online Reputation Management
The British Airways cabin crew started a three-day strike on Saturday after the talks to settle the over pay and conditions collapsed, leaving thousands of travellers in dire streets.

An Angel in Queens
Jorge is a school bus driver who has big heart, he deliver hot meals without fail to the homeless most of them are illegal migrant who lives in dire streets.

Oman girlfriends
I’m interested in her but I don’t know her name. ahhh I’m in dire streets

Arab-Israeli conflict
Completely racist and disgusting article. If you are really the “friend” of Arabs, then they are on dire streets.

The Online ED says that “the straight and narrow path” is an (eggcornical) misreading of Matt. vii.14, “Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” See also comments associated with strait >> straight

#2 2010-09-03 18:47:46

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "dire streets" for dire straits

Works for me. Works too with desperate for dire:

If I was in desperate streets and I was offered a huge some of money that was going to get me outa there, sure, no problem.

At the public meeting, Brian Haley (Labour Executive Member who makes the decisions) wouldn’t be drawn on saying yes to those in desperate streets…

(Incidentally, Desperate Straights is worth a look for those unfamiliar with the work of Peter Blegvad – I imagine he’d appeal to many forum regulars.)

#3 2010-09-03 19:39:02

jorkel
Eggcornista

Good find. Anyone on Skid Road is definitely in dire streets.

#4 2010-09-03 20:48:34

patschwieterman
Administrator

Peter wrote:

(Incidentally, Desperate Straights is worth a look for those unfamiliar with the work of Peter Blegvad – I imagine he’d appeal to many forum regulars.)

In my case at least you certainly imagined correctly—Blegvad is one of my favorite musicians. I think he’s one of the greatest rock lyricists ever. Sadly, pretty much all of his solo work is out of print here in the States.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2010-09-03 20:49:15)

Board footer