Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-09-17 09:40:19

mikew

jelly deals for 'jellied eels'

people like eating jelly deals (jellied eels)

Last edited by mikew (2010-09-17 09:42:18)

#2 2010-09-17 10:16:55

kem
Eggcornista

Re: jelly deals for 'jellied eels'

Welcome to the forum, mikew.

“Jelly Deal” for “jellied eel” fits the eggcorn pattern. Thanks for contributing it.

The Internet is ripe with confessions of this error. I can’t find an example that looks like someone actually making this error, though. The examples given below seem to be a series of one-off mishearings that were eventually corrected. Many on this forum believe that the best eggcorns become, for a time (and occasionally for all time), standard usages for language communities.

Discussion board of The Guardian: “Meanwhile Rhodri Burridge has this: “This is one of my wife’s – she thought jellied eels were jelly deals. ”

UK forum: “Some cockney thing like Jellied Eels? I used to think that was Jelly Deals...”

Music site post: “First time I heard of jellied eels was on Only Fools and Horses, only I thought they were saying ” Jelly deals ”. I thought it was some hip name for a dessert with jelly. Seriously – not kidding. I was slightly surprised when someone explained this to me.”

Home repair forum: “My missus always wondered what ’ Jelly deals ’ were. She genuinely thought they were a type of sweet not sold in Scotland.”

Last edited by kem (2010-12-19 15:11:46)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2010-09-17 19:19:49

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: jelly deals for 'jellied eels'

I had a professor years ago that often used the phrase “It makes a grade eel of difference …”. Others have reported it: the book A Distant Trumpet , by Paul Horgan, has a character that uses the phrase. It’s more a mondegreen than an eggcorn: I’m sure the perps were not thinking of high-class eels, but I for one couldn’t hear the phrase without thinking of them.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer