Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-09-19 09:25:33

CatherineR
Eggcornista

bump beds

A student brainstorming for a personal essay writes about having “twin-sized bump beds” in his childhood room. I’m not sure this is a true eggcorn, as I can’t see the logic in thinking of bunk beds as bump beds; maybe he thinks of them being “bumped” together? It may be just a misspelling based on a dialect that tends to reduce final unvoiced consonants to glottal stops.

What do you all think? Google search returned no results.

#2 2010-09-19 09:48:37

CatherineR
Eggcornista

Re: bump beds

I take that back: Google search turned up one ad for “Bump Beds” which took me to a site selling bunk beds.

#3 2010-09-19 10:05:39

jorkel
Eggcornista

I like this one… and you obviously have a first-hand account to draw upon.

The imagery that I get for “bump” beds is that the person in the lower bunk is liable to bump his head on the upper bunk, and the person in the upper bunk is liable to bump his head on the ceiling.

There is also the notion of “bumping it up a notch” ... most usually with a stereo dial. Even so, one can think of the top bunk as having been “bumped up” to a higher position.

Here are a couple more:

Did i ruin it? [Archive] – Bodybuilding.com Forums15 posts – 11 authors – Last post: Nov 27, 2009
I sleep in a bump bed. dididoitwrong? she doesn’t want to look like a slut infront of a number of people… lol …
forum.bodybuilding.com/archive/index.php/t-120621451.html – Cached

Get more discussion results
YouTube – Lil Twist iS Not The Best Yung Rapper.! Diss Lil Twist – [ Translate this page ]1 month ago. nika u in a bump bed lmao. LILSTARENT95 1 month ago. TheTorisha. 2 months ago. dats a hater. TheTorisha 2 months ago …
il.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Q7PINOZEc&feature=related – Cached
You have removed results from this search. Hide them
Loading…

Last edited by jorkel (2010-09-19 10:08:27)

#4 2010-09-21 12:38:50

CatherineR
Eggcornista

I did a second Google search on “bump bed*” and got about 2,000 hits. One was for a BUMP furniture company that makes beds, but another blogger quoted his little boy who called a bunk bed a bump bed because “It sure looks bumpy!”

Perfect.

Here’s the link:

http://lancewhitaker.blogspot.com/2008/ … -beds.html

#5 2010-09-22 08:00:07

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Among the numerous hits for ‘buck beds’ meaning places where deer sleep there are quite a few referring to ‘bunk beds’

Each of the three bedrooms has a full double bed and single buck beds. ... The third one has buck beds and single bed.

for example. Could it be that they save money?

(I was tempted to inflict ‘not deer’ and ‘saving doe’ on you all, without any warning, but decided that it would be cruel and unusual punishment)

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#6 2010-09-22 10:16:03

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Cruel to be sure, but not unusual around here. (I’m a masochist of sorts, in this regard.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#7 2012-03-04 11:24:52

kem
Eggcornista

See also bonk beds.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer