Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-09-26 17:26:18

David Bird
Eggcornista

"coal" for kohl

Kohl, the black powder used to darken eyelids, is not only from the same root word as alcohol, it is the same word. M.L. “alcohol” came from Arabic al-kuhul, “the kohl”, ultimately from kahala, “paint, stain”. Kohl was produced by sublimation, one of the 12 core alchemical processes, involving purification of metals by evaporation and recondensation—extraction of the spirit. What these metals did to the skin around the eyes I don’t want to imagine. Coal is just as black, and it’s not a stretch to imagine that kohl eyeliner is made of fossil carbon, or at least coloured that way.

Beauty tips
i suggest pencil eyeliner! use a coal one so it won’t be that hard to apply. ... i got mine for about 50c. But coal eyeliner works fantastic too!

TV wiki
Well Lafleur’s comment on Richard being the guy “with the eyeliner” definitely brings to mind ‘coal’ eyeliner used in the Middle East to this day, made famous by Nefertiti of Ancient Egypt.

Beauty forum
think ripped fishnet gloves, speared on coal/eyeliner, piercings in random places and badly dyed hair.

See also charcohol, which is oddly mixed up in this.

Board footer