Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-09-27 09:58:11

David Bird
Eggcornista

The pork calling the cattle black

An interesting double yolker.

Singapore soccer forum
houllier, u the pork calling the cattle black. :)

Confession on fanfic site
pot calling the kettle black…i remembered that…I used to thought it was ‘the pork calling the cattle black’ and the other kids laughed..XP…but the teacher helped me come to the realization soon enough.

Political blog
Is it copycat, the pot called the kettle black, the pork called the cattle black; we learn from history and repeat history as present current geopolitical actions? When a Malaysian from a third world pointed this out in the Human Rights seminar, the representatives of those countries walked out, thus denying that such parallel never exit… What they did is for the noble cause and what similar thing you do is for the evil cause! It is the pork calling the cattle black.

It may have morphed from the many illogical instances of pots calling the cattle black:

Sports blog
for someone who once tried to sucker punch someone, missed, then ran so fast his Montreal Expose jacket was flapping like a cape, calling the great Patty Roy a pussy is the definition of the pot calling the cattle black.

Himalayan Times
Now, in the face of such Herculean crisis, they are all blaming each other. But that’s nothing more than a case of the proverbial pot calling the cattle black. Now, let’s call a spade a spade: our politicos are merely a bunch of self-centered cookies!

Car forum dispute
I just don’t like that pot Shelby calling the cattle black, that’s all…

Learning English – on SkyNet
What is an idiom? How should I use idioms? The following example idioms have been discussed:
— pot calling the cattle black;

Dating forum
You went out with a few strippers? Look who’s calling the cattle black!

Other animals have made it into the plaintiff’s box:

Police forum
Well,Well. If it’s not the sheep calling the cattle black

Asian blog
i m lik living in a world full of ugly secrets. look likes, its nt i nver change. but there are forevr something, its jus lik cattle calling the cattle black.

Malaysian blog
The cat calling the cattle black.

Poetry blog
The black cat calling the cattle black.

#2 2010-09-27 13:48:42

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: The pork calling the cattle black

Wonderful! This has to be one of my favorite finds ever. Just the idea that there’s a whole lexical underground out there somewhere in which the “pot calling the cattle black” reshaping has already spawned its own secondary reshapings…. Wow.

And even better that one of the citations is from a site for discussing idioms.

Hmmnnhh—does the term “double-yolker” still apply to reshapings of multi-word phrases? Well, maybe so, but I think David Tuggy and I need to have a very long and involved argument about it—which will end with both of us deciding that we’re more or less arguing for the same thing—before anyone else uses it.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2010-09-27 13:52:37)

#3 2010-09-27 13:54:52

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Re: The pork calling the cattle black

You missed “pot calling the kettle back” and “pot calling the cattle back”. The first has loads of hits but typos are probably responsible for a good many. The second has a handful only and most may be typos and/or puns for all I know. It’s a moo point.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

Board footer