Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2006-06-02 19:17:29

klakritz
Eggcornista

'adopt' for adapt'

This looks like a common substitution – the phrase ‘adopt to change’ alone gets 300+ ghits- although it’s hard to search for generally. Of course, you adapt to change or adversity by adopting new tools or strategies, so there’s some contiguity of meanings. Examples:

This would allow for the company to be more competitive and nimble to adopt to change more rapidly.
blogs.oracle.com/ocstom/2006/04/24

Who Moved My Cheese …
It’s all about AWARENESS and learning to ADOPT to change without complicating the issues at hand.
btobsearch.barnesandnoble.com/.../isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&btob=Y&endeca=1&isbn=067104334X&itm=10

The world is changing and those who are surviving and thriving are those who adopt to change …
www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?func=vie … oryid=4936

As sooner as we can adopt to change the better we will be able to position ourselves and make the best out of it.
ezinearticles.com/?Change-at-the-Work-Place—-Dont-Move-that-Cheese&id=101874

Enzymes use different strategies to adopt to cold environments.
www.jbc.org/cgi/content/full/280/18/18042

...Steppe plants also must adopt to stress as a result of feeding by animals …
www.wzw.tum.de/vegoek/publikat/berichte/blv1/blv1.html

“Athletes are great at compensation” stated Kathy, “their bodies will adopt to stress in one area by shifting the work load to another group of muscles”.
www.circlecitymultisport.com/CoachesCorner.php

Denial and repression leads to the kind maladopted behaviour that Chirosree Basu so correctly describes.
www.telegraphindia.com/1040811/asp/opin … 603332.asp

Board footer