Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-10-05 19:54:23

burred
Eggcornista

"a might" for a mite

That Biblical passage would not have been the same had the widow contributed her might. Being “a might stronger” suggests that one is a rung up on the ladder of might. Or is it an indication of possibility: one is just a might, or a could, or a maybe, stronger. Another thought occurs to me, that looking “a might pale” might be the same as looking “powerful pale”.

Black Belt magazine
He’s been around a little longer, thus his record is a might stronger.

Celebrity blog
Sofia’s looking a might pale @ Zooey Magazine Launch Party

Pirate talk
What’s a matter thar, dogfish? Ye lookin’ a might glum.

Sleaze media
Old Media’s “Trust Me!” Looking a Might Dusty

True Mainer
You find -60 a might chilly.

#2 2010-10-06 20:31:03

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "a might" for a mite

Good spotting. “Mite” and “might” have enough semantic overlap to make this work.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2010-10-07 12:18:47

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I recently bought a used mitre (miter) saw and encountered en route a number of mighter saws which, powerful though they are, didn’t strike me as sufficiently eggcornish to warrant a post, although come to think of it I don’t usually let that deter me. But it could, I suppose, indicate an incremental step-up in power as David suggests.

... craftsman professional series mighter saw, excellent condition, works well..

#4 2010-10-07 17:16:24

burred
Eggcornista

There is a hit for a “mightier” saw.

CARPENTER HELPER Resume
Assisted carpenter to execute accurate cuts with table saw, mightier saw

Another interesting manifestation of the powers of might:

Computer recovery tip gratitude
Sauron that was the mightest touch that worked there, pure genius, i didn’t come across anything even remotely close to that suggestion in my trauling

Soap opera forum
it was a breathtaking love story that stayed with so many of us…and clearly PR and CC still have the mightest touch.

Mite, mitre, midas.

Board footer