Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-10-13 02:05:26

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

'Running' or 'run and'?

Is it ‘take a running jump’ or ‘take a run and jump’? I’ve always thought it was the first but don’t know if I’ve ever seen it written down. The first one is what’s in the online dictionaries so I suppose that’s the original, though the second makes as much sense and has its fair share of hits on Google. Enough to make it a variation and not unstandard?

I looked at ‘a stand and start’ (which also makes sense in the context of a race) but there are too many examples of ‘take/make a stand and start -ing’

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2010-10-13 17:26:14

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'Running' or 'run and'?

Substitutions and mishearings of and abound in the archives. Other than the and << >> in/en substitutions collected in the database, there are

spontaneous addition:
stock and trade
once and a while
case and point
D and A test
beat and track
lack toast and tolerant
tongue and cheek
every once and a while
commander and chief
and a delightful new one for me: Sir Arthur Cohen and Doyle

magicked away:
loan/lone behold
beckon/beacon/beckoned call
front in center
land of milking honey
hewing cry

Suggested by your post:

My in laws have a pond and Remmington, our GP border collie mix, took a fly and leap into the pond
http://www.greatdogsite.com/breed-qa/an … r_or_5567/

Board footer