Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-10-13 14:46:19

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

poo-poop

Another entry in the Department of Scatology:

They poo pooped his work using the “ow it’s a money scam” while showing some of his patients on the critical, and nowhere else to go list.

feel how much of a carbon copy your loud compliant s sound to folk who poo pooped the iPhone three years ago.

Reunions are often poo-pooped because of their high school conotations. Well Cynic’s reunion damn well is welcome, needed, and an absolute must-have.

the fact is I am really curious, because he even says pans and tilts are no good candidates for syntheyes… so I dunno… could you post some links with a commercial stuff you did with it […] ¶ BTW. my intention is far from poo-pooping syntheyes… :cool: [¶ another contributor:] Sounds like your taking marketing a little to seriously Hervé. :) It’s not like they can put on there front page. “We make pretty good software but its crap compared to the high priced software”. This industry like many others has to be taken with a grain a salt. ¶ You started the tread and it was a little one sided that’s why it seemed like a little poo-pooping

Disgusting, and possibly dogged by the etymological issue. What does the poo in poo-poo mean? I had supposed it came from a dismissive “pooh! pooh!”, but perhaps not, or perhaps that dismissive sound came from dismissing something as excremental.? Etymological dictionaries suggest it is the other way around: poop is `a children’s euphemism, probably of imitative origin; cf. the same word in the sense “to break wind softly,” attested from 1721,’ whereas pooh `dismissive sound’ is older, since Shakespeare at least, onomatopoetic from a puffing gesture, blowing something distasteful or bothersome (like a gnat perhaps?) away from the mouth.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2010-10-13 14:47:44)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2010-10-15 17:23:51

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: poo-poop

I’ll see your ‘p’ and raise you another:

... Michael Jackson revealed his problem with the same disease, people poop, pooped it away as another MIchael Jackson lie..now, in 2010, ...

When I first took the Meyers-Briggs test years ago – I poop pooped it as pop culture and not a valid way of categorizing people. ...

Anything that is not patented gets poop pooped by the Doctors which are trained by the AMA.

For some of us though, this is not an area we fear to tread because there is nowt scatological about it…

The bankers removed the chairs from the deck of the US Titanic: they put the chairs in a little yacht and poop-pooped off to Asia and …

... Ram Ram India, is every bit as much about Nick as about India as he “poop-pooped” his way across the subcontinent from the Himalayas down. ...

...because we read about Mr Toad, Ratty, Mole and Mr Badger when we were young:

They were strolling along the high-road easily, the Mole by the horse’s head, talking to him, since the horse had complained that he was being frightfully left out of it, and nobody considered him in the least; the Toad and the Water Rat walking behind the cart talking together—at least Toad was talking, and Rat was saying at intervals, ‘Yes, precisely; and what did YOU say to HIM?’—and thinking all the time of something very different, when far behind them they heard a faint warning hum; like the drone of a distant bee. Glancing back, they saw a small cloud of dust, with a dark centre of energy, advancing on them at incredible speed, while from out the dust a faint ‘Poop-poop!’ wailed like an uneasy animal in pain. Hardly regarding it, they turned to resume their conversation, when in an instant (as it seemed) the peaceful scene was changed, and with a blast of wind and a whirl of sound that made them jump for the nearest ditch, It was on them! The ‘Poop-poop’ rang with a brazen shout in their ears, they had a moment’s glimpse of an interior of glittering plate-glass and rich morocco, and the magnificent motor-car, immense, breath-snatching, passionate, with its pilot tense and hugging his wheel, possessed all earth and air for the fraction of a second, flung an enveloping cloud of dust that blinded and enwrapped them utterly, and then dwindled to a speck in the far distance, changed back into a droning bee once more.

I must concede, though, that the title “Wind in the Willows” could be misinterpreted.

#3 2010-10-15 19:39:13

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: poo-poop

LOL! I’d forgotten about Mr. Toad’s magnificent motor-car. Poop-poop = putt-putt.
Did I tell you about the sign in the golf cart shop? “When drinking, don’t drive. Don’t even putt.”
Poop-pooping your way across India reminds me of the dog who was said to have run across the porch emitting whelps.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer