Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-10-20 22:25:45

David Bird
Eggcornista

"pissimist" for pessimist

I admit I have a soft spot for innocently vulgar eggcorns like this one. As some dictionaries attest, the notion of pissy is associated with inferior, nasty, or disagreeable aspects of something, and being pissed can mean being angry. It’s not hard to see the extension to the negative attitude of a pissimist. Or else it’s just an innocent spelling mistake. The last example hints that someone has an altered understanding of the word based on its spelling, though.

Song comment
Again, this is “our” song for myself and my girlfriend. It’s simply the most beautiful song I’ve ever heard. Being a pissimist by nature, it’s pretty hard to make me smile. This song does every time.

Capricorns
some of us are very positive in the way we see the pissimist in us, as we are crazy nutters

Political blog
Glenn Beck is a pissimist who plays on peoples fears for ratings and money

#2 2010-12-20 16:34:15

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "pissimist" for pessimist

Hmmm. One of the best eggcorns this year slipped by without a comment. David could have at least commented on his own post.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer