Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#2 2010-11-02 20:23:35

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Dredge--> Drudge

Good eggcorn. Extremely common on the web.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2021-10-06 11:45:05

David Bird
Eggcornista

Stephen Colbert lamented having to drudge up Donald Trump again on Tuesday night.
NYT

In this case it does seem to connote drudgery.

#4 2021-10-14 10:25:56

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Also relevant (and attested):

[So-and-so wouldn’t have stayed long at this job:] There’s not enough change or excitement, it’s just too trudgery.

Students often view Field Ed assignments as a trudgery.

drudging … trudging along drudgingly

I suspect this last one above might have been purposeful in the second part (jocularly correcting), occasioned by an inadvertent error on the first word.

those that live on the surface also teach those that trudge the bottom.

you would have to tredge through 150 pages of posts.

So slowly I tredge on…

I will tredge on forever if that is what it will take even if I find no answers,

We’d tredge back over the country.

Trek, trudge grudgingly, tread, trouble, what other words might be involved in these?

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2021-10-14 10:30:02)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2021-10-15 09:08:58

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Trek, trudge grudgingly, tread, trouble, what other words might be involved in these?

Here’s a little handful; truckle, trundle, dawdle, dribble/drool, potter and pootle, waddle toddle and hobble. Where we going, Dave? I know we’re going slowly or reluctantly, but I’m not sure where.

#6 2021-10-16 10:21:12

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

We’re heading into the swamp where the first life-forms grow (I think). I think a lot of stuff goes on sub-morphemically and it’s only when they rear their heads up enough to be identified that we even start thinking about them. Then we say, oh, it is a blend, or it is a malapropism, or it is a productive usage of this or that word-forming construction, or it is an eggcorn. Or something. Somehow, and I am by no means sure how, these words all have in common some meaning-sound connection to something unpleasant, awkward, or laborious, not sharp and clear, easy, and well-defined. They can all influence each other (I think) to enable us, or even encourage us towards coming out with funny words like those we have been documenting.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2021-10-18 07:14:27)

#7 2021-10-17 09:43:56

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Ah, the old fuzzy spots then? Submorphemic phonaesthesia and so forth, but we like short words too? On the trudging drudgery front then, sledge could play a part; not the cheery children at play sort of course, but gritty stoical chaps pulling and pushing sledges through a dark Antarctic winter.

And let’s not forget plodge. Plodging can be fun of course, but plunging one foot after another through deepish water can quickly lose its charm.

Hmm. I knew a fellow in Devon by the name of Mudge. It seems his is a habitation name for one dwelling in or near a swamp, but I fear that won’t be much help. Interesting, though.

#8 2021-10-18 06:11:12

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Yes, exactly.
The cheery children, for me, would almost have to be on a sled rather than a sledge.
I didn’t know plodge at all. Lovely word.
And yes, Mudge is an almost perfect fuzzy-spot moniker for a swamp dweller.

Board footer