Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-11-04 01:51:16

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Stumbling chickens?

Pun or not?

Living on the skin of raw chickens, if the bird isn’t wrapped and refrigerated at between zero and five degrees Celsius you might fall fowl of this bacteria. When cooking, chicken should be placed on the bottom shelf to avoid contaminating your other foods with its juices.

Definitely not:

The same plan fitted very neatly with the needs of the world trade negotiations. Given
that the EU did not want to end agricultural subsidies, it had to find a means of subsidy
that would not fall fowl of WTO rules and have to be progressively reduced. Because the
talks are concerned with trade, rather than with domestic policy as such, the rules do not
prevent the payment of subsidies to producers, provided that they do not change the
volume of output

I’m sure that plenty of the numerous examples of ‘fallen fowl’ are mere typos, but a few might be influenced by ‘fowl’ (especially in a report about agriculture!) and I truly hope that some people think that it’s got to do with poultry that has fallen.

By the way, I resent the assumption that I live on the skin of raw chickens.

Last edited by JuanTwoThree (2010-11-04 15:44:17)

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2010-11-04 19:30:33

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Stumbling chickens?

Dis one give me da chicken skin, bra. (Note, that’s da kine, it’s not an organic undergarment).

Other stumblers:

UK Football match reports
It was a different story in the second half as two quick fire goals were slotted away only for the defense to fall foal of another counter attack.

Hunter regulations
frequently hunters arrive at Fish & Game check points each year with tag in hand, not yet filled out, and as a result fall foal of the law

Bring back Stonehenge.
there are many ‘free events’ that go ahead each year across the UK despite having to fulfill hoops, sometimes very successfully. Of course ‘not for profit events’ can fall foal of draconian local authorities intentions

Tyre pressure
What ever you do make sure you don’t fall fool of the manufacturers genaral specifications

Board footer