Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-11-04 21:43:31

David Bird
Eggcornista

"swatch" for swath

There are 26 unique instances of “cut a swatch through” on Google.

Fan fic
Rurik followed this up with devastating melee attacks that cut a swatch through their enemies.

Backyard naturalist
Several years back, an oil company mistakenly clear cut a swatch through my land (they got confused about where they were).

A swatch, originally from Northumberland dialect, became “a tally attached to cloth sent to be dyed” (Online ED) 400 years ago, before become a sample of cloth a few decades later. A swath is a good A.S. word for “a row of mown grass”. Skeat makes a connection between the cutting and binding of grass and cutting of a strip of cloth that led to the dialect swatch.

#2 2010-11-04 23:58:51

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "swatch" for swath

Kudos. A classic.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2010-11-07 08:32:31

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "swatch" for swath

Very nice find.
I take it that “swath” was originally associated with the sweeps of a cutting process, but over time it picked up the meaning of “a long broad strip.” Many modern usages seem to apply it to any linear assembly of items … as if one could sweep one’s arm across them and gather them up. (For some reason I feel most comfortable using the word “swath” when it pertains to something referenced with a sweeping motion). If the generalized meaning “long broad strip” is accurate, I can easily imagine how a swatch (sample of cloth) might take the form of a swath … for instance, when selecting a pattern for new draperies. Or have I given “swath” incorrect attributes?

Window Treatment Ideas – Designer Window Treatments – House BeautifulWhether you’re looking for elegant draperies, Roman shades, or a simple swath of fabric, we have window treatment ideas that will complement every room in …
www.housebeautiful.com › Decorating & Ideas – Cached – Similar

Last edited by jorkel (2010-11-07 08:41:29)

Board footer