Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-11-08 00:48:04

Gumrat

"learn by rope" for "learn by rote"

In a forum recently, I’ve read about children who do a lot of “rope learning” at school. When I suggested that perhaps the phrase they wanted was “rote learning”, I was informed that Australians and South Africans regularly use rope learning to mean rote learning. I don’t know if this qualifies as an eggcorn, as it presumably has become conflated with “to learn the ropes”?

#2 2010-11-08 09:34:27

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "learn by rope" for "learn by rote"

Works for me. An excellent find. First-class even.
And welcome to the forum, Gumrat.
Can anyone else confirm this as widespread in Australia and South Africa? Is it common anywhere else? I don’t find the thousands of ghits I would have expected if it really is standard over (down under?) there.
Here’s another take on it:

before I started covering mainframes, I thought COBOL was “Cobalt” as in the grayish metal. In fact, still to this day when saying the word, I have to make sure I cut the word off and not insert the letter. I sometimes say COmmon Business Oriented Language in my head to jog my memory. […] back in my newspaper days, I wrote an education story. I mentioned students had to learn by “rope memorization.” My editor pointed out the typo with a chuckle. ¶ It wasn’t a typo in the sense that I accidentally typed it. I actually thought “rope memorization” was a way of learning something. Of course, now I realize it’s actually “rote memorization” but I still think “rope memorization” makes sense. Learning something by heart, like how to program in COBOL, is a lot like climbing a rope. First you have to figure out the basic technique and then practice that over and over again. Over time, you are able to go higher as your mind and muscles develop. A simple mistake may cause you to fall (much like a small programming mistake causes compiling woes). ¶ The skill is learned after a lot of practice and some sore hands (both when rope climbing and coding COBOL). But with any skill, practice and additional information is needed to keep it fresh.

It clearly was a well-thought-out eggcorn for this person.
Here’s another :

The human brain tends to make patterns out of fragments and is not always accurate. Non-native speakers also make up new cliches when native speakers mumble them and you don’t catch all the words clearly. Especially when those cliches contain words that are not in common usage anymore. ¶ My wife came to America at age 11 speaking 2 non-English languages. Cliches gave her hell. She thought “the whole kit and caboodle” was “the whole kitten and poodle”. Both kittens and poodles are popular pets, you have both a cat and a dog, so it made sense to her. Who the hell uses “caboodle” to mean a backpack anymore? ¶ She also though “to learn by rote” was “to learn by rope”, as in the habit of tying knots in a string to aid memory. Once again, made sense to her. For the love of God, people, enunciate clearly around foreigners! ¶ And since she went to HS here in the US, she has no Chinese or Taiwanese accent. So she still hits these blind spots in idioms even 30 some years later.

Wow! A clear eggcorn for some, complete with perpetrators’ confessions, and with three reasonable (two clearly attested) semantic avenues to contextually appropriate sense: learning the ropes (as on a ship, I suppose), the sequential nature of rote learning is like following/climbing a rope, and tying knots on a string to aid memory. (Not to mention cobalt and the whole kitten and poodle.)
A nothern:

[From a related post by the author of the second one cited above:] So, the other day she got ahold of one of those Scholastic magazines they use to teach elementary school kids about stuff – usually there’s one for every holiday. St. Paddy’s day was no exception. Now, despite the Prussian surname, my background is heavily Scotts (Clan Munro) – Irish (Brady). So the wife calls me the other day and says: ¶ – “wow, the Shamrock is a plant” ¶ – “uh, yes, dear, how did you make it though school in NY not knowing that?” o.O ¶ – “we had Italians and blacks, no Irish” ¶ – “but you went to school in New York City” ¶ – “the Italians weren’t big on St. Patrick” ¶ – “but surely, someone hung one up in the hall, sometime as a decoration” ¶ – “if they did, they didn’t bother to tell me its name” ¶ – o.O “so, what did you think it was, then?” ¶ – “a rock. possibly, a fake one. ‘sham’ and ‘rock’, see? but I thought it was an Irish rock” ¶ – “no, dear, that’s the Blarney Stone”

Fwiw, I had it clear in my mind that “rote” learning was learning that followed a fixed sequence, like a point on a rotating wheel. This synaesthetically matches my experience of recitation. According to one online etymological dictionary. Rote is:

of uncertain origin, sometimes said to be connected with O.Fr. rote “route” (see route), or from L. rota “wheel” (see rotary), but O.E.D. calls both suggestions groundless.

If OED is correct, then, I and others have been silent-eggcorning the word while pronouncing it (no doubt) impeccably. Both the “route” and “rot(ate)” false etymologies are conceptually very close to the “follow/climb the rope” eggcorn.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2010-11-08 12:20:13)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2010-11-09 00:01:30

Gumrat

Thank you for the welcome, I’m pleased to have discovered Eggcorns! The person who told me about them found these two “in the wild” examples, both from the UK, I believe:
http://www.tutors4me.co.uk/default.aspx … tail_2473, the last sentence reads:
“I believe in learning the fundamentals of any subject thoroughly so that rope learning can be kept to a minimum and any knowledge gained is deep-set.”
and:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthr … ?t=1319373
“I have always found that with osces it was much more important to be applying the theory to the situation rather than rope learning the theory.”
My original find was this:
“My daughter went from a British curriculum to {the American system} and it made me realise how much she had learnt in the UK was just rope learning and now she’s at {American school}, she understands the concepts etc.”
In a later post:
“In my honest opinion, no I don’t think she is pushed as much as she could be, but (and this is a big but) everything she is learning is being drilled in. Not rope learnt.”
With a reply from someone else to my query:
“No, some countries (like Australia) say “rope learning” but it is the same as “rote learning” as in learning by memory and then regurgitating.”
There is a reference to the original poster being partly South African, which is where I got the idea it was South African as well, but the original poster is, I think, from the UK. Curiouser and curiouser.
Will this get added to the Eggcorn database, or do you need more examples?

#4 2010-11-09 14:01:53

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Whether something will ever get into the database is a dark and mysterious matter. The vast majority of finds from the last few years (including many very excellent ones) are still only here on the Forum. You stand a much better chance of having it make it onto the End-of-the-Year lists that several of the more distinguished members of our community will put out in a month or two.
Citing more examples is fine, but mostly we’re happy with a few (fewer than we have above, in many cases) and the knowledge that there are more of the same out there. A large number of citations isn’t proof that the error is standard for anybody (which is a major criterion for eggcornhood); witness the existence of many thousands of examples of specific typos that do not produce a meaningful word. But if an error that makes good sense shows up many times on a google search, and especially if it shows up repeatedly in a single document, that increases the likelihood that it is standard.

“rope learning” … is … learning by memory and then regurgitating.”

Brings up, for me, the revolting image of swallowing the rope and then slowly pulling it back up.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer