Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-11-11 09:20:33

burred
Eggcornista

tweak, trick >> twig

Tweak, twitch, twinge and twinkle come from A.S. twiccan, for “pluck, snatch, move suddenly”. A.S. twig, on the other hand, was, unsurprisingly, a branch (cognates twin, twice and twist). The other twig, for “get, seize, capisce, comprehend, grok”, was 19th-century slang taken more or less directly from Gaelic. The confusion of the two is eggcornish: to tweak to something requires only a tweak in the grey room.

Code help
I finally tweaked to it when I thought about what the DataGrid was doing

Soccer, sin and supplication
Perhaps some would not have tweaked to it, but clearly there is a world wide one-ness of spirit and heart emerging

Game review
So the other cops arrive, led by Hennessy (who appeared briefly in the trailer, but looked so different that it took me a while to tweak to the fact that they were supposed to be the same guy), to investigate the murder

This variant might be a blend with “do the trick”, to get the gist of.

Foreign currency trading
Maybe you didn’t trick to the urgency I have been trying to convey here

#2 2010-11-14 01:07:05

kem
Eggcornista

Re: tweak, trick >> twig

Tonight I heard someone say “I twinged onto it.” A twinge is a tweak, a pinch, a pain, a prick of conscience.

I see a few other examples of “twinge” for “twig” on the net.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2010-11-14 02:30:13

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: tweak, trick >> twig

Sloan’s apologetic tone was twinged with regret.

Seems I’ve been lucky enough to meet a few good women in my lifetime—and it all started with you.” ¶ Connor’s smile was twinged with sorrow.

No more High School for me! dances the jig of mixed of happiness twinged with sorrow I mean…yaay! ¶ No more freakin’ High School! Crud…no more High School.

Also:

Though I twinged with regret and jealousy when I read the liner notes in Scoop about how shortly after he wrote it, he reacquainted himself with his art school

Watching them almost fuse as each strove to shout higher than the others his particular version Stu twinged with regret at not belonging to such a brotherhood

It got to the point where we could spot a “staffer with a conscience,” and we’d twinge with regret, knowing that he or she wouldn’t be around for very long

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer